Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Back to Genelec : which monitor should I choose ?

talinho, modified 6 Years ago.

Back to Genelec : which monitor should I choose ?

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 4/5/16 Recent Posts
Hi,

About 10 years ago, I bought a terrific pair of 8020as which I loved... but I sold them in a few years ago, and I really miss them, because I never retrieved the same sound since with other manufacturers.

That's why I'm "back to Genelec".

In the Genelec product line, I found 3 monitors which seem to fit my need (which is basically the same as ever : listening to music with an unbeatable quality/price ratio).

- 8020 CPM ("natural" choice, since I had the 8020A)
- G Two (apparently the same sound, but maybe more simple to use: I dont need any front volume control)
- M030 (on the aesthetic point of view I like them very much, but how close do they sound???)

I will use my new Genelecs in a 12sq meter room. I can feed them via XLR or RCA, no problem.

I checked the forum and I understood 8020 CPM and G Two are basically the same, on the sound point of view.

Can you please advise me ?
My main point : what is the difference, in terms of usage and sound, between M030 and 8020 /G Two ?

I would clearly be glad to choose the cheaper option but I absolutely dont want to be disappointed if any of these options sounded "not as great" as my holy 8020as !

Thanks !

Gaetan
1038, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: Back to Genelec : which monitor should I choose ?

Jedi Master Posts: 340 Join Date: 4/6/09 Recent Posts
As you loved your 8020's so much, i'd definitely recommend either 8020/G2 or the new 8320's...

The 8320's add Genelec's AutoCal into the equation, they cost a little more and you need to purchase the GLM kit (though you can purchase this at any time if budget is tight)

The M series are a great speaker, but aimed at lowering the entry price to get into Genelec, they give great bang for your buck, but the 8000/G/8300 are the best of Genelec's designs...