Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Product Line Differences not Clear

keyur, modified 6 Years ago.

Product Line Differences not Clear

Youngling Posts: 5 Join Date: 2/9/16 Recent Posts
Hi Ilkka,

I am researching around to find a good pair of monitors for my home, and I am considering M040 and 8040B. Despite a lot of research, I am still not sure what are the technological differences between these two lines. All introduction videos talk about ISS and "natural materials" in M-series but there is no mention about any other differences :? Do they use the same amplifier? Do they use the same DSP? What are the differences between HF/LF drivers in M040 vs 8040B?

If M040 is a great price because of cheaper cabinet material and rest is same, just reply with a winky ;) and I will run to my nearest store to get one!

Thanks!
Keyur
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

Re: Product Line Differences not Clear

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
Hi Keyur,

You won't find that kind of information available because we don't publish it, it's too detailed and considered confidential. I can tell you that 8000 and M series do not share any components. If you are searching monitors for your home, G series is our home audio range which you should be looking at. :)

http://www.genelec.com/home-speakers

Hi Keyur,

You won't find that kind of information available because we don't publish it, it's too detailed and considered confidential. I can tell you that 8000 and M series do not share any components. If you are searching monitors for your home, G series is our home audio range which you should be looking at. :)

http://www.genelec.com/home-speakers

It is nearly impossible to find G-series in USA :roll: I live in a big city, and after a lot of searching I found one dealer who carries 8040B and M040 but not G-series. Surprisingly G-series is absent from online retailers' inventories as well.

I understand the confidentiality constraints, so let me ask your personal thoughts: which one would you prefer for honest Pop/Chill music reproduction in a 20,000 cuft living room? I listen at very low levels, around 60dB. It would help me a lot if you can describe the general sonic-signature differences.

Thanks Ilkka!
ilkka-rissanen, modified 6 Years ago.

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts
In that case I would directly contact our USA subsidiary and ask where you can get the G series:

Genelec, Inc.
Natick, United States of America
Address: 7 Tech Circle , MA. 01760
Tel: +1 508 652 0900
Email: genelec.usa@genelec.com

Your requirements seem fairly low which mean that any small differences between different series diminish. I would recommend the M040 if you want a budget option, and on the other end the G Five if you want to aim high. The latter plays cleaner, louder and lower. :) If your dealer carries 8050, it has equivalent performance to the G Five.

Thanks Ilkka. I sent an email to Paul Stewart of Genelec USA office and hopefully he can locate the G-Four or G-Five for me to audition.