Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

8260 tweeter oddity

uli21, muokattu 3 Vuodet sitten.

8260 tweeter oddity

Youngling Viestejä: 7 Liittymispäivä: 24.6.2017 Viimeisimmät viestit

Hi,

I experienced an occasional tweeter failure with one of my 8260. The coax was still playing, but much too dark sounding. Next day everything was fine again, however, such failures got more often and finally permanent. So I decided to send the faulty speaker to German Genelec service. Before, I made a new GLM calibration in order to prove the high frequency loss. And: Since then, the speaker is fine again...!

But until when...?

Does anybody have got an idea what's going on here? Could this be realated to buggy software (GLM 2.2.0 here)? Are there any similar failures known to the Genelec team?

(The speaker sits on the original K&M stands and hasn't been moved around at all since I bought it, approx. 2 years ago. Audio comes via AES only.)

Thanks for your help!

Ulrich

jani-oksanen, muokattu 3 Vuodet sitten.

RE: 8260 tweeter oddity

Jedi Master Viestejä: 449 Liittymispäivä: 30.3.2017 Viimeisimmät viestit

Hi Ulrich,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue with the 8260A.

I recommend to download our latest GLM 3.1 from link below, and with version 3.1 you are able to upgrade the firmwares of your monitors to our latest versions. This would fix any possible bugs on the firmware of the monitors. Could you be kind and report back to us if this solved the issue?

You can download our latest GLM 3.1 from link below:

https://www.genelec.com/glm

Best Regards,
Jani Oksanen
Customer Support Team

Thank you, Jani.

The GLM 2.2.0 software I am still using also comments on the firmware version, it says "Up to date" and "8360A 0010 0152 0241". Is this the latest version?

Best regards,

Ulrich

Hi Ulrich,

There is newer firmware in our latest 3.1 GLM, even the 2.2.0 says different. Please download it, and if the issue still exists contact us at service@genelec.com by e-mail and lets investigate further what could be the issue.

Best Regards,
Jani Oksanen
Customer Support Team

The 8260 were stable again after a re-calibration (GLM2). So tweeter failure was a software issue, I guess.

After having finished two projects I updated to GLM3, including firmware updates which were not offered by GLM2. Everything's fine so far.

It occurs to me that 4 of 10 filters available are not used by GLM calibration - why? And what does it mean: "Filters 3 & 4 are shared with PSCP", as stated in the filter list?

Regards,

Ulrich

Hi Ulrich,

I'm glad to hear that everything works now, and please let me know if you encounter any other problems later.

All filters are not always applied, as those are not needed in most of cases. They are "extra" filters that can be manually adjusted if needed.

Filters 3 & 4 are shared with PSCP, which means that those filters are shared with Sound Character Profiler. I'm sorry it is mentioned little bit strange with the letters PSCP only.

Best Regards,
Jani Oksanen
Customer Support