Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

8351A - wireless remote volume control

genifan19, muokattu 2 Vuodet sitten.

8351A - wireless remote volume control

Youngling Viestejä: 12 Liittymispäivä: 12.5.2019 Viimeisimmät viestit

Hi all

What's the best solution to control volume wirelessly for the 8351A?

I want a simple physical volume remote control - I don't want to use a PC or even laptop.

Does Genelec make a wireless volume controller? Or only the wired controller?

Something that controls the speaker's internal volume would be ideal. 

But if I can't wireless control the 8351A internal volume, then is there an interface with AES3 output and it's own digital control volume ? But still, I need to have physical wireless volume remote control. Not just a volume knob because I will be seated 3 meters away from both speaker and any interface.

Any advice apprecaited

RE: 8351A - wireless remote volume control

How does this work? 

https://www.genelec.com/studio-monitors/outboard-products/9101a-wireless-volume-controller

There's not a lot of info about how to set this up

My understanding is the speakers need to be connected to GLM network adapter by ethernet cable for this to work?

So I need to have a PC/Mac running GLM software in order to control volume wirelessly but this can be in a different room, connected via ethernet switch, as long as it is all ethernet connected? Or does the PC/Mac need to be close to the GLM network adapter?

I really don't want PC/Mac inside my listening room. I'm happy to have a unmanaged switch in the listening room though. 

And the 9101A plugs into the GLM network adapter somehow? How? Or the 9101A talks to GLM network adapter via RF?

lukester, muokattu 2 Vuodet sitten.

Jedi Master Viestejä: 296 Liittymispäivä: 22.4.2010 Viimeisimmät viestit

Yeah, the 9101A talks to GLM network adapter via RF.

The process of pairing is described in the manual.

The GLM Hardware doesn't have to be connected to a PC or Mac.

It just needs power via USB, any usb charger will do.

You'll need a computer for the initial room correction, and you'll want to setup a default startup volume.

lukester:

Yeah, the 9101A talks to GLM network adapter via RF.

The process of pairing is described in the manual.

The GLM Hardware doesn't have to be connected to a PC or Mac.

It just needs power via USB, any usb charger will do.

You'll need a computer for the initial room correction, and you'll want to setup a default startup volume.

Hi Lukester

When you say "The GLM Hardware doesn't have to be connected to a PC or Mac" you mean via USB cable right?

But it does need to be connected to PC/Mac via network (ethernet cable) for the 9101A wireless volume control to work? PC/Mac needs to be running GLM software for the wireless volume control to work?

No,

there never is an ethernet connection to a computer, only USB is used connect to a computer.

ethernet is from glm adapter to speakers only.

GLM can work standalone, needs power via USB from a any charger.

the remote talks to the GLM adapter via RF, the GLM apapter talks to the speakers via ethernet.

lukester:

No,

there never is an ethernet connection to a computer, only USB is used connect to a computer.

ethernet is from glm adapter to speakers only.

GLM can work standalone, needs power via USB from a any charger.

the remote talks to the GLM adapter via RF, the GLM apapter talks to the speakers via ethernet.

Thanks again lukester

It sounds like the wirelss controller is perfect for my needs.

Do you use it?

Once you setup the auto start-up volume via GLM via Mac/PC and then disconnect Mac/PC, have there been any reports of the auto start-up not working properly and causing a nasty surprise (volume at maximum)?

Or is it pretty reliable (again with PC/Mac disconnected)

I have a wireless remote, but i never use it...

always end up using volume control in VLC or windows.

My HTPC is in the other room, drilled holes into walls, long cables.

Never used startup volume, you can dial in permanent volume change in the EQ settings.

i got -18db permanently set on all my systems, never needed more SPL.

This way certainly is rock solid.