Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

8351A vs. 8351B: what is the real reason for the change of the mid driver ?

ensoniq, muokattu 2 Vuodet sitten.

8351A vs. 8351B: what is the real reason for the change of the mid driver ?

Padawan Viestejä: 47 Liittymispäivä: 30.5.2015 Viimeisimmät viestit

Is there a concrete reason for the midtone driver change ? I cannot think that it is related to the quality of the signal it produces. My guessing is that the only reason for that change is that the complete standardization of the ONE´s mid/ high speaker drivers reduces the manufacturing cost. Thats ok, but I think it is a pitty, because it breaks the homogene 8351 aesthetics. The Foam sprayed midrange looked extremely elegant/ smooth compared to the new speaker.

Question to Genelec : will the 8260 change too ?

ceaser, muokattu 2 Vuodet sitten.

RE: 8351A vs. 8351B: what is the real reason for the change of the mid driv

Youngling Viestejä: 0 Liittymispäivä: 8.9.2019 Viimeisimmät viestit

They increase the power of all amps and those, driving the mids and highs too. So , It's my thoughts, the "old" drivers cannot supposed to handle the power and dynamic response requirements for proper THD , which leads to redisign the drivers for better performance. And they already done it with sucssesor of the 8260a ->  8361. So , Why not to use them  to refresh 8351. A lot of users complaning from lacking power with EDM, D&B and etc genres.

PS : IT could be also due to financial and practical reasons, as you mentioned above.

ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 2 Vuodet sitten.

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit

Hello,

The coaxial driver in the 8351A was introduced already in 2009 when the 8260A was published. That means it had its 10 year anniversary this year. It is the 1st generation coaxial driver we have made. Since that, we have learned a lot when it comes to designing a high performance coaxial driver, and in 2017 we launched the 2nd generation coaxial in the 8331A and 8341A monitors. Now, in the 8351B and 8361A we are launching the 3rd generation coaxial driver which is a completely new design compared to the original coaxial. Please notice this is not the same as the physically smaller coaxial driver used in 8331A and 8341A monitors.

-neodymium magnet vs. ferrite which reduces the mass of the driver

-1 inch tweeter vs. 3/4" which leads to higher SPL capability but also larger bandwidth (up to 43 kHz)

-larger voice coil to provide more power handling as well as help to drive the cone from an optimum position

-lower woofer to mid crossover (470 Hz to 320 Hz)

-higher mid to tweeter crossover (2600 Hz to 2800 Hz)

-better overall performance, lower distortion

-better manufacturability and tighter tolerances

8351A and 8260A monitors will be discontinued which means the 1st generation coaxial will not be produced any more (of course spare parts are still available).

nachjos, muokattu 2 Vuodet sitten.

Padawan Viestejä: 41 Liittymispäivä: 21.10.2016 Viimeisimmät viestit

Hello

I am a very happy owner of a 8351A. The only criticism I have is the lacking power with EDM, D&B and etc genres (red light shows up).

With the new model (8351B) this should be resolved. Beside that the sound quality should be improved too.

But I still have some questions. Probably Genelec could give me some answers:

- The midrange/tweeter driver for 8351B is new. What's about the bass driver - is it still the same as on 8351A?

- If I like to update: Will 8351B resolve my problem regarding lacking power with EDM, D&B and etc genres?
  I don't need much more SPL, just some more SPL headroom.

- Is 8361 a big improvement to 8351B? On the technical paper there is not much more low bass frequency, more or less it's the much higher SPL.
  Could you give me a recommendation? Or is 8351B enough? My room is 10 x 4m, divided in two 5 x 4m rooms by a small room divider (1m left and right).

nachjos:

Hello

I am a very happy owner of a 8351A. The only criticism I have is the lacking power with EDM, D&B and etc genres (red light shows up).

With the new model (8351B) this should be resolved. Beside that the sound quality should be improved too.

But I still have some questions. Probably Genelec could give me some answers:

- The midrange/tweeter driver for 8351B is new. What's about the bass driver - is it still the same as on 8351A?

- If I like to update: Will 8351B resolve my problem regarding lacking power with EDM, D&B and etc genres?
  I don't need much more SPL, just some more SPL headroom.

- Is 8361 a big improvement to 8351B? On the technical paper there is not much more low bass frequency, more or less it's the much higher SPL.
  Could you give me a recommendation? Or is 8351B enough? My room is 10 x 4m, divided in two 5 x 4m rooms by a small room divider (1m left and right).

Hi,

All drivers have been completely re-designed. The woofer's now have much more SPL and much lower distortion. Of course you should have a proper demonstration first to see if the difference is big enough for you, but I can state that it is very considerable.

8351B vs. 8361A is also something you need to listen to yourself. Obviously the 8361A gives much higher SPL, especially at the low frequencies. 

Thanx for clarification.

Is the low end of 8351B and 8361 comparable when listening in room volume level or advanced listening level? Or will the 8361 have audible more authority on these listening levels? I am shure for high listening levels. Keep in mind that my listening room is 10 x 4m, divided in two 5 x 4m rooms by a small room divider left and right, listening distance is around 3.5m. 8351 are mounted on the wall with a very solid wall mount (maximum weight 25kg) in listening height (centre of midrange speaker), distance between the loudspeakers is 2.3m.

If it will be night & day I will think about adapt my wall mount for the 8361. Otherwise I prefer the 8351B, because it will fit better to my mounting space (the 8361 is significantly larger and heavier).

drsah, muokattu 2 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 11 Liittymispäivä: 25.9.2016 Viimeisimmät viestit

is there any upgrade plan for old 8351 users? that would be very nice and practical.

drsah:

is there any upgrade plan for old 8351 users? that would be very nice and practical.

What kind of upgrade plan do you mean? It is not possible to update the speaker itself because every component inside the loudspeaker has been changed. It would not be practical to try to update it.

jani-oksanen, muokattu 2 Vuodet sitten.

Jedi Master Viestejä: 449 Liittymispäivä: 30.3.2017 Viimeisimmät viestit

Hi there,

We are aware that many user would like to upgrade their 8351A to the later 8351B, but I'm sorry to inform that we have no plans for any trade-in or product upgrades. 

Best Regards,
Jani Oksanen
Customer Support Team

ensoniq, muokattu 2 Vuodet sitten.

Padawan Viestejä: 47 Liittymispäivä: 30.5.2015 Viimeisimmät viestit

very interesting to learn about the reasons. I will compare the 8261 for my 8260 as soon as possible. If the 8261 does with my 40sqm room what my 8351 does with the20 sqm room, the purchase should be a No Brainer. Although I also appreciate the 8260 as a design object (Gummi Bears). 

When will 8351B and 8361A be available to buy in Germany or Austria?