Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

Genelec with tube preamp - impedance match?

radlux, muokattu 1 Vuosi sitten.

Genelec with tube preamp - impedance match?

Youngling Viestejä: 3 Liittymispäivä: 19.12.2016 Viimeisimmät viestit

Hi, 

I have a pair of 8040 Genelecs that I am no longer using for mixing because I now have the 8331. I plan to move the 8040 for casual music listening in my bedroom. I have a Bakert Labs Rhumba 1.2 active tube preamp. I would like to use it in the following way:

Dac->XLR->Bakert preamp->XLR->8040.

I hope to add a bit of deliberate tube harmonic distortion which I feel pleasurable for my personal taste for non critical listening. It will also allow me to conviniently adjust volume. My questions are:

The preamp has low output impedence - 75ohms. What is the input impedance of the power amp in the 8040? Will this match OK with my preamp? My understanding is that  for proper matching preamps to power amps, a general rule of thumb is for the load (amp) input impedance to be at least 10 times higher than the source (preamp) output impedance to provide a suitably flat frequency response.
2. The preamp has a Low gain of 7db. Most active preamps have gains of around 12-20db. Will this work OK if I keep the sensitivity on the 8040 to - 6db?

3. Will I cause any damage to the 8040 by connecting hifi preamps in general? Is there anything to watch out for? 

I haven't seen anyone talk about this rather non traditional use of studio monitors. Look forward to your responses.

Thanks

radlux, muokattu 1 Vuosi sitten.

RE: Genelec with tube preamp - impedance match?

Youngling Viestejä: 3 Liittymispäivä: 19.12.2016 Viimeisimmät viestit

This is the link to the active tube preamp: https://backertlabs.com/rhumba-1-3-preamp/

lukester, muokattu 1 Vuosi sitten.

RE: Genelec with tube preamp - impedance match?

Jedi Master Viestejä: 296 Liittymispäivä: 22.4.2010 Viimeisimmät viestit

Can't answer #1 and 2.

Can answer #3: No. Njet. 沒有.

I do think that your preamp is slightly overkill at 4x price os speakers.

A 4.000$ preamp followed by a 10$ potentiometer in the Genelcs is a bit odd. Not to diss Genelec design.

I looked into tube options too a few years back, found that high end people build huge preamps and then forget to put in a bypass switch for the tube section.

Hope you can test the gear before you buy it. You might not get your money's worth,
​​​​​​​At least that was the feeling I walked away with, and I fed huge 1037s that should lend themselves way better to such high-end shenanigans.
If you find that you do get your money's worth, please come back and tell us!