Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

Resampling to 24/96 with GLM SAM monitors for sound improvements?

nachjos, muokattu 1 Vuosi sitten.

Resampling to 24/96 with GLM SAM monitors for sound improvements?

Padawan Viestejä: 41 Liittymispäivä: 21.10.2016 Viimeisimmät viestit

I use a Auralic Aries G2 as a streamer and Roon to play my music. Both allow resampling (up and downsampling). Roon Server is running on a own i7 Mini-PC with Roon ROCK installed only, so there is plenty of power for resampling.

So I am thinking about resampling everything to 24/96, because this is the internal sampling frequency of my Genelec 8351B. In that case Genelec DSP doesn‘t have to do a internal resampling.

Has anybody experience in that use case or a helpful advise?

mykola, muokattu 1 Vuosi sitten.

RE: Resampling to 24/96 with GLM SAM monitors for sound improvements?

Youngling Viestejä: 3 Liittymispäivä: 11.10.2017 Viimeisimmät viestit

I have similar setup with 8361s and Roon to Ropiee + PI2AES. I am using just what is on track and send it to speakers. If you resample all tracks to 24/96 you will add +1 resampling in pipeline. So makes no sense to me. Also as I remember - woofers are 24/48 while tweeter use 24/96. 

So I would not do it.

nachjos, muokattu 1 Vuosi sitten.

Padawan Viestejä: 41 Liittymispäivä: 21.10.2016 Viimeisimmät viestit

Did you try upsampling in your setup? I know, woofers are 24/48 while midrange/tweeter use 24/96, so there is only a +1 resampling for the woofers. My question was primarily  focused on the best technical setup. I think I have to trust my ears... :-)

klassikmann, muokattu 1 Vuosi sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 24 Liittymispäivä: 6.4.2017 Viimeisimmät viestit

All of my my audio sources are digitally connected to two 8351. Because DSD isn't supported directly, I have to convert my collection of DSD64 files to PCM, which is supported by 8351 up to 24/192. At the first approach I used the "natural" (?) conversion to 24/88.2. The speakers internally were resampling again to 24/96 resp. 24/48. I was not satisfied with the result acoustically. I think the reason is that resampling from 24/88.2 to 24/96 is not an easy conversion regarding computing power.

I decided to resample the DSD64 material to 24/96 and the result was very pleasing. I use an offline resampler, i.e. not the built-in resampling facilities of my audio software. Why offline resampling? I didn't want to repeat my experience with realtime resampling to avoid overload of my tiny RPi based audio player. Second argument: I want to evaluate the various (open-source based) resamplers for Windows and Linux,