Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

Genelec sub connection to Preamp 5.1

hifinewb, muokattu 1 Vuosi sitten.

Genelec sub connection to Preamp 5.1

Youngling Viestejä: 0 Liittymispäivä: 8.3.2021 Viimeisimmät viestit

Hello!

I'm building 5.1 home theater setup and I currently have Genelec F One (A) and Genelec 1091A sitting around.

I recently bought Canton Smart 5.1 preamp since I'm about to upgrade from 2.1 --> 5.1.

What would be the correct cable & connection setup to get the wither Sub working correctly, since there is no simple one cable plug on them like speakers?

Thanks in advance and apologies for possibly stupid question :)

tedkron, muokattu 1 Vuosi sitten.

RE: Genelec sub connection to Preamp 5.1

Youngling Viestejä: 4 Liittymispäivä: 28.10.2015 Viimeisimmät viestit

Hi,

I have the Canton Smart Connect 5.1 and it works pretty great with the analog Genelec interconnectivity. Looking in the operating manual of the 1091A under "Subwoofer in consumer Surround Sound" it seems to be able to take line input from a preamp directly (https://assets.ctfassets.net/4zjnzn055a4v/61meaH6IX6Wysu8SGiuUSe/75204b3e960668da97186c17a2ef0228/1091A_opman.pdf).

You just need a standard RCA to XLR connector, where the RCA pin is connected to XLR pin 2, and the RCA sleeve is connected to XLR pins 1 (ground) and 3 (cold). If you leave the XLR shield unconnected (as is often recommended for making pseudo-balanced cabling) your might get a lot of output noise and hum. 

Good luck!

Best regards,

Ted