Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

Genelec 8351A buzzing sound coming from woofer surround

moebsv, muokattu 7 Kuukautta sitten.

Genelec 8351A buzzing sound coming from woofer surround

Youngling Viestejä: 2 Liittymispäivä: 25.11.2021 Viimeisimmät viestit

Hello all,
I recently purchased second hand a pair of 8531As and am very happy with them. I do have, however one cause for worry. I usually listen to the speakers at a (hopefully) resonable level, far below clipping (blinking red LED). I do, however, listen to some material containing some very low frequency information. Despite being driven only at this level, the woofers can sometimes produce a "buzzing" noise, as if the surround was vibrating against something, when reproducing especially low-end content. With certain content, this buzzing can be very audible.

Find below a web link to a recording which produces this effect :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tNy6tEkweI&ab_channel=HATE

Also find attached below a video recording which attempts to showcase this buzzing noise. Please pardon the low quality, this was recorded with what was on-hand - a phone. The buzzing is present on all four woofers (both on either speaker) although it seems to appear around slightly different frequencies on either speaker. This results in a few questions :

Could the woofers be damaged ? Besides this single issue, the speakers otherwise work very well.
Is this buzzing indicative of content that could potentially be damaging to the speakers ? Should I lower the level when playing this type of music ?
What is the best way of removing this buzzing ? Should I set up a filter, or invest in a subwoofer ?

Many thanks,

Valentin

jani-oksanen, muokattu 7 Kuukautta sitten.

RE: Genelec 8351A buzzing sound coming from woofer surround

Jedi Master Viestejä: 449 Liittymispäivä: 30.3.2017 Viimeisimmät viestit

Hello,

Please fill contact form and we will get back to you ASAP with further instructions:

https://support.genelec.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Best regards,
Jani Oksanen
Customer Service

moebsv, muokattu 7 Kuukautta sitten.

RE: Genelec 8351A buzzing sound coming from woofer surround

Youngling Viestejä: 2 Liittymispäivä: 25.11.2021 Viimeisimmät viestit

Hello,

Thank you for the very prompt reply. I have submitted a request using your supplied link.

Many thanks,

Valentin