Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

Max volume when setting up speakers - damage caused?

shamaani, muokattu 5 Vuodet sitten.

Max volume when setting up speakers - damage caused?

Youngling Viestejä: 1 Liittymispäivä: 27.4.2017 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello there,

Just purchased my first Genelecs (G Threes) yesterday to enjoy high quality sound when listening to music. I paired them up with a Cambridge Audio CXN streamer/DAC/pre-amp for a simple setup.

After I set up my system and turned on the music, the music coming out from speakers was at max volume (I believe, if not max, super loud at least) and I was not able to turn down volume using the volume knob of pre-amp, so I turned the power off from extension cord my system was attached. Well, it turned out I needed to set up a "digital pre-amp mode" to control the volume.

My question is, is there possibility that this max peak at volume level to box-fresh speakers and sudden "pulling the plug" could have damaged them somehow? When listening to them, I feel they sound really great as they should, but on the other hand I don't have a reference point how "should" they sound like :) If there was some damage caused, would it be instantly audible?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this situation when setting up their first system and I've read Genelecs have protection circuits to prevent any damage happening from situations like these, but I just wanted to ask to get peace of mind and knowing I have not done any damage to my precious investment.
jani-oksanen, muokattu 5 Vuodet sitten.

Re: Max volume when setting up speakers - damage caused?

Jedi Master Viestejä: 449 Liittymispäivä: 30.3.2017 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello!

No worries, G Three has protection circuits to protect drivers from overload, and i'm sure that your monitors work properly. If the protection circuit would have failed for some reason, then there wouldn't be any sound coming at all from the tweeter or woofer. If you can hear full sound scale there shouldn't be any problems.

You can also read more about the protection circuit from link below:
https://www.genelec.com/key-technologies/protection-circuitry