Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

For my case, 8010A or 8020C?

loff, muokattu 5 Vuodet sitten.

For my case, 8010A or 8020C?

Youngling Viestejä: 2 Liittymispäivä: 18.2.2017 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi all!

Having heard a lot of good things about Genelec monitors, I am now considering either a pair of 8010A or 8020C and would appreciate some input on which one will suit me better.

The monitors will be placed on a wooden desk (depth 60cm) immediately facing a concrete wall. The listening distance is about 80cm from front pane of monitor to ear. The room is in a cube shape (about 3m x 3m x 3m) and unfortunately suffers from standing wave issues (boomy bass). However, due to various reasons, I do not plan to do any serious acoustic treatment to it.

The monitors will be mainly used for music listening (mostly classical music now, especially symphonies like Mahler 5th).

I really like the compactness of the 8010As and do not mind their reduced bass extension (which may in fact work to my advantage given the standing waves issues in my study). But will the bigger 8020C be able to provide more resolving power of details for the reproduction of complex music passages? Bass energy aside, is there a gap between 8010As and 8020Cs in terms of sound quality?

I do not have any friends who are knowledgeable in this area and would appreciate any advice and help from this community. Many thanks.

Loff
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 5 Vuodet sitten.

Re: For my case, 8010A or 8020C?

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello,

Classical music is very demanding source material for any loudspeaker. I would definitely recommend at least 8020 but preferably even larger such as 8030/8040 type monitor. 8010 is unfortunately too small for that application.

Since you do not plan to do any acoustical treatment, I would strongly suggest our SAM series monitors, such as 8320 and 8330 which provide accurate DSP based room calibration for optimized frequency response.
loff, muokattu 5 Vuodet sitten.

Re: For my case, 8010A or 8020C?

Youngling Viestejä: 2 Liittymispäivä: 18.2.2017 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi Ilkka, thanks for your very helpful reply. I will certainly consider the 8320 or 8330 as you recommended.