Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

Mixing M40 and 8030B in home theater

tonygeno, muokattu 6 Vuodet sitten.

Mixing M40 and 8030B in home theater

Youngling Viestejä: 18 Liittymispäivä: 1.1.2016 Viimeisimmät viestit
I have a 75 cubic meter home theater and am currently running 8030Bs all around with a non Genelec subwoofer using my pre-pro to set the crossover frequency at 100hz. The system is optimized with Dirac Live using a MiniDsp DDRC-88A. The system sounds fantastic, but sometimes I think I would like more output capability (could definitely be psychological, I will admit).

I am thinking of increasing my 3 fronts to get more power to a 6.5 inch woofer and was thinking of using 3 M40s up front and using the 8030s as surrounds. My question is: will they match tonally or would this be a mistake. I originally chose the 8000 series because of its ability to be wall mounted with Genelec hardware (the surrounds are about 2 meters off the ground to the sides of the listeners, pointed down) which is not an option for the M series. The three front speakers are on stands.

I would appreciate any input on this. Thanks in advance.
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 5 Vuodet sitten.

Re: Mixing M40 and 8030B in home theater

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi,

I think you don't have to worry about the tonality difference because both series sound quite the same and it is not that critical to match front and surround speakers.

I am slightly worried if M040s will provide large enough SPL capability difference compared to your current 8030s. Yes, they play louder but it won't be a night and day difference. I think you should demo them first before making the decision. :) 8x50 would be my recommendation if you want really noticeable change in performance.
tonygeno, muokattu 5 Vuodet sitten.

Thanks so much for the reply. With a 100 hz crossover, It is probably not worth it. I assume filtering the bass out of the 8030s, limits the output capability difference between the 30s and 40s?

To a degree yes, but there is still more output available above 100 Hz too. M series models are also a bit more capable than their 8000 series counterparts when it comes to maximum output.

So given the crossover point, how many more clean db can I expect out of the M040 as compared to the 8030?

Thanks!

You can expect between 4 to 6 dB more clean output.

Sounds worthwhile. I think I'll give it a go.

Thanks,

Tony