Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

Safe volume for subwoofer?

koke88, muokattu 5 Vuodet sitten.

Safe volume for subwoofer?

Youngling Viestejä: 3 Liittymispäivä: 17.6.2016 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello!

I got a pair of Genelec 8320A speakers and Genelec 7350A subwoofer about a month ago and I am extremely happy with my new speakers. I like the Autocal settings for my room when I am listening to acoustic or vocal music. However sometimes I like to listen to electronic music with a lot of low frequencies. The autocal lowered the level of my subwoofer -5,6dB and also decreased frequencies between 40-60Hz so for electronic music it kind of ruins the bass line which is very important part of the music.

So my question is: Is it okay to raise the subwoofer level to 0dB and reset the equalization between 40Hz-60Hz to flat and even lower the 8320As' level to make the bassline louder? I have thought that this would be okay as long as I don't raise the volume to the point which makes the subwoofer light turn red or orange. Am I right? I know Genelec speakers aren't made for "bassheads" but sometimes I just enjoy listening music with a lot of bass.
1038, muokattu 5 Vuodet sitten.

Re: Safe volume for subwoofer?

Jedi Master Viestejä: 340 Liittymispäivä: 6.4.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
The best thing to do would be to create another "group", you can do this by simply clicking on the group menu then select duplicate group, you will then need to edit this group, by changing its name, then you can edit these speaker settings.

By doing this you can simply switch between your calibrated setup and modified setup.

You should also make sure you download the new GLM 2.1, this has a new feature called sound character profiler, which may also be what you need... You can find this also in the group menu...

Thank You for your reply! That is what I have been doing. I have two .SAM files: one for electronic music and other for "normal" music. I was just worried if the continuous bass would damage my subwoofer because the driver moves a lot. Is it possible to damage the subwoofer with loud electronic music if the indicator light stays green?

All Genelec products have speaker protection so even if your LED occasionally turns red, you'll be fine.

It is possible to damage anything if you try hard enough, but you sound like a very cautious owner so i'm sure you will be fine. I probably wouldn't adjust the LF filters as they have been created to solve an acoustic problem in your room, try just the level first then see how you go. Can you post a screenshot of your filters?

That's nice to hear. I tried just raising the subwoofer level to 0dB and leaving the equalizer settings of the subwoofer to AutoCal's settings. My room seems to increase frequencies between 30Hz and 60Hz which gives the bass an extra kick. Here is a picture of the filter:

https://www.anony.ws/i/2016/06/19/IMG_7573.jpg

It is true that the music sounds better when I leave the AutoCal equalizer settings on and just raise the subwoofer level to 0dB because the equalizer is adjusted to my room acoustics. Now I have three settings; Autocal for normal music, 0dB subwoofer level with AutoCal equalizer for electronic music and 0dB subwoofer level with flat equalizer between 30Hz and 60Hz when I wan't the extra kick for bass and don't care that some frequencies are louder than others because of the room acoustics.

Your fq response looks good, i assume that your room leaks quite a bit of LF energy. Can you tell me where your subwoofer is located in regards to walls and your 8320's.

Do you have a similar cancellation in your speakers at 90Hz? If not, it would be worth playing with your crossover settings. For example, you could move the x-over down to around 70Hz, this would somewhat mitigate the 90Hz cancellation but it would put a greater workload on your 8320's... So this all needs to be considered with your required SPL...

If you have any LF shelf filters that haven't been utilised, i'd try adding something like a -10dB or -15dB shelf at 25Hz, this would significantly reduce the workload of the sub which would allow more headroom for higher frequencies... It all will depend on the music you listen to. This is one of the great benefits of the system.

Have a play and see what you end up with.. :)