Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

differences between 8030, 8330, 4030

suntunnels, muokattu 6 Vuodet sitten.

differences between 8030, 8330, 4030

Youngling Viestejä: 3 Liittymispäivä: 20.4.2016 Viimeisimmät viestit
I'm looking for speakers to use in a custom installation/home theatre kind of environment. Size and budget point me in the direction of these three models of Genelecs and I'm having a hard time parsing out what will be different between these models.

The one noticeable external design shift between the 8030 and the 8330/4030 that is appealing to me is the lack of a power switch and volume knob on the front face. I would prefer to not have that. Outside of that, the measured specs seem to have slight differences, but appear to be overall quite similar. I have found references that say the 8330 and the 8030 are essentially the same speaker, but nothing that compares the 4030.

Mainly, I'm wondering, will all three of these speakers sound virtually the same?
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 6 Vuodet sitten.

Re: differences between 8030, 8330, 4030

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi,

May I first ask where are you located as we have slightly different product offering depending where you live.

4000 series loudspeakers are meant for indoor commercial and professional installations such as conference rooms, restaurants, classrooms, places of worship etc. They are equal to 8000 series models when it comes to acoustical performance but they have special Phoenix signal connector which is preferred in these type of installations. They do not have standard balanced XLR connector. Front panel does not have the power and volume knobs.

8300 series loudspeakers are our newest models for professional monitoring needs (but can also be used in home environments) and are nothing like the classic 8000 series models. They feature highly efficient Class D amplifiers, improved acoustical performance, built-in DSP processors for automated room response equalization and Genelec GLM network management, universal mains input voltage for easy connectivity all around the world and many more features and updates. Please see this brochure for more detailed information: http://www.genelec.com/sites/default/fi ... 14_web.pdf

Thanks for the details. I am located in Canada.

Using a Phoenix connecter would certainly not be a problem. So, if I like the sound of an 8030, and would like to not have the volume and power knobs, the 4030 would provide the same sound?

I did understand that the 8330 had the DSP processing and room equalization, but I guess my question was, room correction notwithstanding, will the 8030 and the 8330 provide the same sound? It seems like maybe the main difference is the Class D amplification vs the more traditional A/B amplification in the 8000 series?

As its not possible for me to listen to all these side by side, I'm trying to get as much information as I can before deciding which route to go.
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 6 Vuodet sitten.

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Yes, 4030 and 8030 are identical in audio performance.

8030 and 8330 are not the same because Class D amplifiers produce more power which results in more maximum SPL and dynamic headroom. Also with DSP based crossovers and filters the frequency response and directivity behaviour is flatter/smoother.
laparn, muokattu 6 Vuodet sitten.

Padawan Viestejä: 39 Liittymispäivä: 20.6.2015 Viimeisimmät viestit
From a 8330 consumer, and former 8030 ditto, "ear of view" I can confirm 8030 and 8330 differ in performance. To the benefit of 8330. Great speakers!

Believe me, the 8030 is a wonderful speaker and an extreme price/performance player, but the 8330 is better in every sense. Maybe with the same price/performance ratio if you exclude the GLM functionality from the equation. You get better LF extension, better stereo separation, smooter high end and a lot better "physical" (SPL) output from the mids. Well recorded piano is a good reference and once the strings are hit you can feel really the vibrations as for real. Whe you add the GLM to the equation and start optimising you´ll achieve absolutely wonderful results.

Due to my room size I have also added a subwoofer (F Two...only from a estetics point of view). The "punch" is better and SPL:s are higher but that comes with the cost of a somewhat blurred precision in instrument positioning. But I mean VERY minor blur. If using the 7350 instead of the F Two you´ll maintain the precision and other benefits in the 8330.
I your room admit to use the 8330 by themselves I´d say you´ll be happy for a long time. Absolutely fantastic speakers.

thanks for the insights here!