Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

Subwoofer phase setup when using an AV receiver

hezor, muokattu 6 Vuodet sitten.

Subwoofer phase setup when using an AV receiver

Youngling Viestejä: 9 Liittymispäivä: 12.10.2015 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi,

I have a home theater setup with 3x8030A as LCR and 2x8020B as surrounds. They are all connected to a Yamaha RX-V1067 AV receiver.

If I have understood correctly, setting the subwoofer distance in the Yamaha's speaker setup makes minor adjustments to the subwoofer phase. If my speakers are routed via the subwoofer (7060B) and I'm going to use the sub's bass management (all speakers set as LARGE in the Yamaha, "sub pre-out" connected to "LFE in"), I'm wondering which is the correct way to setup the subwoofer phase:

1)
- Set the correct distance of the subwoofer into receiver's speaker setup, and leave the subwoofer phase as NORMAL in the receiver.
- Set the phase as instructed in the 7060B's operating manual, using directly sub's dip switches.

2)
- Leaving the receiver's distance untouched (lowest distance setting which is 0,3m)
- Set the phase as instructed in the 7060B's operating manual, using directly sub's dip switches.

3)
- Set the correct distance of the subwoofer into receiver's speaker setup, and set the subwoofer phase as NORMAL or REVERSE (depenging on which one is more louder) in the receiver.
- Leaving the phase as a factory default in the sub.

4)
- Something else?

Kiitoksia etukäteen. ;)

-hege
1038, muokattu 6 Vuodet sitten.

Re: Subwoofer phase setup when using an AV receiver

Jedi Master Viestejä: 340 Liittymispäivä: 6.4.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi Hege,

your bass management setup is correct. For Phase, i recommend that you use the Dip switches as per the 7060's owners manual, set the phase using the centre channel, then simply ensure that in the speaker distances menu in the yamaha you set the sub distance to equal the centre channel distance. Be aware that some surround sound processors invert the phase of the sub out, so it's worth while just double checking once you have documented your settings to change the setting of the 0 - 180 dip switch.
hezor, muokattu 6 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 9 Liittymispäivä: 12.10.2015 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering, when the sub is performing all the bass management, it means that from the receiver's point of view, the only thing the subwoofer is doing is just playing back the LFE channel, right?

And is there any kind of a need for LFE phase matching in the first place, as it is a fully separate and discrete channel? So if not, does it actually matter what I set as the subwoofer's distance in the receiver?

This subject is a bit confusing, but I'm beginning to figure it out soon enough. :D
1038, muokattu 6 Vuodet sitten.

Jedi Master Viestejä: 340 Liittymispäivä: 6.4.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering, when the sub is performing all the bass management, it means that from the receiver's point of view, the only thing the subwoofer is doing is just playing back the LFE channel, right?

Correct...

And is there any kind of a need for LFE phase matching in the first place, as it is a fully separate and discrete channel? So if not, does it actually matter what I set as the subwoofer's distance in the receiver?

One would assume that the LFE Channel is in phase with the mains during the mix..... You need to set the distance to maintain the correct phase between your sub and mains....

This subject is a bit confusing, but I'm beginning to figure it out soon enough.