Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

8010/8020 horizontally for home theatre?

rungekutta, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

8010/8020 horizontally for home theatre?

Youngling Viestejä: 1 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2015 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi all,
First post here.

I'm using 8020s for stereo HiFi duties and love them. Now looking for 5.1 setup in another room where unfortunately the room layout is awkward for HT setup; nevertheless, despite the constraints I'd like to have a go. Space constraints and aesthetics probably means 5x 8010.

First question - how similar or dissimilar would I find the 8010s to my 8020s?

Second - ideally I'd use one of the 8010s on its side for centre. Does horizontal orientation mess up the sound in any way?

Appreciate any help and pointers!
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

Re: 8010/8020 horizontally for home theatre?

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your questions!

I don't think you wouldn't find them much dissimilar at all, especially if you are adding a subwoofer. Without a subwoofer the bass extension and output is the clearest difference. At mids and highs they are very similar.

It is possible to use the centre on its side, but there is one issue you should be aware: http://www.genelec.com/faq/acoustical/5 ... is-better/
kabile, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 2 Liittymispäivä: 7.4.2015 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi,

what about the loudness? Is it still 95 dB when I use a subwoofer let´s say for all frequencies under 85 Hz? I have no dealer around my hometown and I don´t want to buy a 8030, 8020 and a 8010 just to send them back.
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi,

what about the loudness? Is it still 95 dB when I use a subwoofer let´s say for all frequencies under 85 Hz? I have no dealer around my hometown and I don´t want to buy a 8030, 8020 and a 8010 just to send them back.

Hi,

If you are using a subwoofer with a bass management so that the frequencies below 85 Hz will be filtered out from the speakers, they can play a few dB louder depending on the material. Differences between 8010, 8020 and 8030 are more obvious when you are not using a subwoofer. But even with a sub, the larger models will produce better sound quality and will be able to play louder than the smaller models. I would recommend to choose the largest model that will fit to your budget.