Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

7.1 system with 8030A and 7060B

varusniper, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

7.1 system with 8030A and 7060B

Youngling Viestejä: 2 Liittymispäivä: 19.3.2015 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi guys

I've used to own 4 speakers 8030A, a few days ago my godfather gave me another 3 speakers 8030A (he had 4 but he broke one of them). So now I own 7 speakers 8030A, that is great and I was thinking to make myself a 7.1 system.
I've read on forum and internet that the best subwoofer for those speakers is 7060B.
But there is a problem the subwoofer only has 6 channels. Also my sound card has only 5.1 and 7.1
Somehow I want to use all the speakers to make a 7.1 system. So what options do you reccomend?

1. Create a 5.1 system using the 7060B sub and connect the other two 8030A speakers individually in the sound card so I can create a 7.1 system (left and right sides)(this would be great if works)
2. Create a 5.1 system using the 7060B sub and forget about the other two 8030A
3. Use another subwoofer with 7.1 but I could not find something similar with 7060B only huge subs.
4. Or maybe I can unite two channels in 1 to be able to obtain 6.1 (I know this is a stupid ideea)

Thanks in advance
Cristi
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

Re: 7.1 system with 8030A and 7060B

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit

1. Create a 5.1 system using the 7060B sub and connect the other two 8030A speakers individually in the sound card so I can create a 7.1 system (left and right sides)(this would be great if works)
2. Create a 5.1 system using the 7060B sub and forget about the other two 8030A
3. Use another subwoofer with 7.1 but I could not find something similar with 7060B only huge subs.
4. Or maybe I can unite two channels in 1 to be able to obtain 6.1 (I know this is a stupid ideea)

Thanks in advance
Cristi

Hi Cristi,

It would be possible to connect the other two 8030A speakers individually in the sound card. Only difference would be that since you won't run those channels through the subwoofer, they won't be bass managed (crossover at 85 Hz) but that isn't a problem when it comes to surround channels. The speakers have an 85 Hz optional high pass filter (2nd dip switch, 85 Hz bass roll-off) which you can apply for those channels.
varusniper, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 2 Liittymispäivä: 19.3.2015 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi Ilkka

First of al thanks for your reply, your info was extremly usefull.
I already did all the setup mount all the speakers on the wall, bought all the necessary cables.
I was this close to buy the sub when this happend.

A friend of mine wants to sell a pretty similar sub it is 7060A.
So for the last few days I read specifications an documentations very carefully. and I noticed that the two subs (7060A and 7060B) are almost the same. Even the reccomended loudspeakers for the sourround sistem (1029A and 8030A) are also very very similar.

So my question is:
Can I use the 7060A instead of 7060B for my sourround system. My advantage is that the 7060A is half the price.
Also if 7060B is better can you specify what advantage will I have, because the two subs from my point of view are very very similar.

Thanks in advance
Cristi
1038, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

Jedi Master Viestejä: 340 Liittymispäivä: 6.4.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Illka can provide more indepth info on the changes, but both subwoofers are VERY close in performance, the big change was in the subsonic filter, the 7060A had it's filter at 29Hz, where as the B had it changed to match the bigger 7070 &7071 subs at 19Hz. This filter is 18dB/Oct so in round numbers the A will be 9dB lower than the B due to the filter.... This is anechoic, in room you probably notice much difference...

If it's 1/2 the price, sounds like a good option....
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi Cristi and Steve,

7060A and 7060B are essentially same products, but not identical. They have different woofers (drivers) and different cabinets, more exactly different reflex ports which results in different cabinet tuning (Helmholz) frequency (and also different subsonic filter frequency because it needs to be matched with the tuning frequency). The A revision is tuned about 10 Hz higher than the B revision which results in slightly higher mid-band output but less bass extension. These differences are quite small in real world and both versions are suitable for this application.