Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

8240 Placement (Wall/Windows)

imrecs, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

8240 Placement (Wall/Windows)

Youngling Viestejä: 14 Liittymispäivä: 6.12.2014 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi,

I read the monitor setup guide though I have a more specific question in regards to the placement of 8240s in my room.

My mix room is in an apartment, 14Lx12Wx10H. The wall my monitors are up against have 2 windows, which are right behind the monitors. There are curtains over the windows. 4 GIK Tritrap bass traps in the corners behind the monitors, 6 GIK panels for early reflection points (2 to the left, 2 to the right, 2 on the ceiling) and a monster bass trap at the back of the room centered. Carpeted.

My listening position calculated at 38% of the length of the room is approximately 5'4" from the front wall.

Wondering the ideal placement of the 8240s from the wall/windows, prior to doing a GLM calibration, and what roll off / tilt should I use if not using the GLM calibration?

Thanks!
1038, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

Re: 8240 Placement (Wall/Windows)

Jedi Master Viestejä: 340 Liittymispäivä: 6.4.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
One of the biggest benefits of having SAM monitors, is the fact that you can measure in room and see what works best. A measurement takes less than 1 minute, so take many measurements. Set your speakers up and once measured look at the red trace in the plot, it is the in-room response, what you want to work towards is having as few cancellations as possible.

My recommendation to new users is to set aside a few hours and document what you do. For example measurement one would be " wall, close, height, mix postion" where

"wall" defines which wall the speakers are in front of (if you have the ability to use multiple walls)
"close" defines how close the speaker was to the wall behind it
"height" defines the speaker height from the floor.... you might be amazed at what impact this has..
"mix position" simply defines the mix position, so move the mic to see how the response changes..

As you have acoustic treatments i'd recommend moving them and seeing what you can achieve.

As soon as you are ready for your second measurement, remember to use "Save as" from the File menu to create the next measurement name before you do another measurement..... I hope this makes sense, it reads poorly, but once you are infront of GLM hopefully it will become clear.

Once you have done the measurements, you can diagnose which measurement is best for your situation. Then the file name will help you remember where everything was to achieve the result. Most of your problems will be below 400Hz, don't focus on stuff above this too much as you can fine tune higher frequencies much easier than the stuff below 200Hz..

Sounds like a great idea. I don't have the GLM kit yet, as I am waiting to purchase V2 next year...hoping to find someone in the NY area to come calibrate my speakers once until then...so in the meantime I will just experiment by ear.

I currently have them about 18" from the window (the speakers are 4 feet apart and 4 feet from my listening position in an equilateral triangle). Listening position is about 38% the length of the room. -2db bass tilt. Thoughts? They sound really good! I guess I will find out if this is the sweet spot once I get the GLM in here.

My typical starting point is to place monitors at least 1.2mtrs off the floor as close to the wall behind as possible, i typically look for the highest mass wall to place the speakers on, though this is also balanced against room symmetry.

They are a great speaker, enjoy...

The closest I can get them seems to be about 2-4inches (5-10cm) away from the windows (referring to the back corners of the speakers as they are angled towards me). They are touching the curtains. This puts the speakers about 5 feet away from my listening position...so spaced a bit wider to forma 5 foot equilateral triangle...will spend some time with them in this position to compare. Any and all advice appreciated! I just did some research and apparently having windows behind the monitors is actually a good thing/better than a wall as the low frequencies pass through the windows, rather than reflect off of them.

yeah, acoustically leaky rooms sound good as alot of the energy can leave the room, however if you live in a noisy environment, then also noise enters the room.....

true..it's a trade off i guess.

when placed right in front of the windows, should i set the bass roll off at all? right now tilt is at -2db? what would the suggested roll off settings be, as the manual only shows suggestions for free standing and corners.

You will need roll off in all rooms, i would simply recommend that you set it by ear on some tracks you know well, but listen to the mids, due to in room gain, the LF will mask the mids, so listen to voice and turn the bass down until the mids sound correct.

It will be interesting to see your GLM measurements when you get it next year and hear your comments...