Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

1037c or 8240a/7260a

zee64, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

1037c or 8240a/7260a

Padawan Viestejä: 38 Liittymispäivä: 2.11.2013 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi,

I am considering upgrading my Genelec monitors. I currently run a pair of 8240a in my room. My room is 6m wide by 7m long and a celing hight of 5m, so quite small. My room is treated and my listening position is 1m from the monitors.

I need a greater lower frequency range and I was thinking I have a few options:

1) Keep with the 8240a and add a single 7260a or

2) Go for larger three way monitors such as the 1037c.

I have no experience of using or placing a sub in my room. How easy is to integrate a sub with the 8240a given both the sub and monitors will have DSP room corection?

Or do I go for some larger monitors that wont require a sub? Do you thing the 1037c is too large and overkill for my room?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

Re: 1037c or 8240a/7260a

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi,

How much more extension do you need? Do you need a solid 20 Hz? If yes, then a subwoofer is basically a must. Our 8260A model goes close to 20 Hz in a room but most other midfield three-ways won't reach it, even with strong room boost.

Hi, I don't really need a solid 20 Hz. It would be nice but its not essential. What I do need is a set up that will give more lower frequencies.

I am tempted to add a 7260a but I have no experience of adding or working with a sub in my room and if I'm honest my major concern is the integration of one sub. Will the AutoCal and GLM ensure I have seamless integration? Or I am worrying too much about adding a sub.

I do like the idea of having a three way monitor such as the 1037c but the most economical way forward would be to add a single sub.

Decisions, decisions :?

Hi,

Typically AutoCal will provide a very good integration but of course if the room acoustics are really bad, even it can't do miracles. Please note that our DSP subwoofers accept only digital AES/EBU signal.

Thanks - yes I understand the woofers only take digital. My room is well treated but small.

I'm quite certain I'm going for a sub, but not wishing to get into the complex science of 1 vs 2 subs, do you think I will get better and more balanced performance with two 7260a?

Hi,

Typically two or even more subwoofers will help to achieve flatter frequency response at the sweet spot as well as over a larger listening area.

I would recommend to read this study for more information on multiple subwoofers: http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/ ... ltsubs.pdf