Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

genelec M040 wont power on

dan1210, muokattu 8 Vuodet sitten.

genelec M040 wont power on

Youngling Viestejä: 19 Liittymispäivä: 6.3.2014 Viimeisimmät viestit
got some m040s and i cant seem to get them to power on? they are hooked up to my av receivers left and right pre out, all connections seem to be seated correctly, any suggestions?

thanks

Re: genelec M040 wont power on

also tried phono from my iphone and 1/4 inch jack none of the connections seem to activate the speakers to power up...
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 8 Vuodet sitten.

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi,

1. Do you have the mains power cord plugged in for both speakers? These are active speakers and they need 100V to 240 V mains voltage to operate properly.

2. Do you have the main power switch (located on the back side of the speaker) turned ON for both speakers?

Hi, yes everything is plugged in switches turned on etc, they just seem dead wont work at all!
friedman, muokattu 8 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 7 Liittymispäivä: 15.3.2014 Viimeisimmät viestit
I have the exact same problem with my M030 today. It wont power on. I have changed the fuse on the plug and tried a different plug / tried plugging it into a different socket. Looks like I'll have to send it back.

EDIT: Someone told me there's a problem in a batch of Genelec M-series monitors with the fuse inside the monitor. Is this correct?

I have read that they are aware of the problem and are repairing the speakers in the warranty but we still have to cover the postage costs? seems unfair if the monitors have a known manufacturing defect, dont you think?

I have read that they are aware of the problem and are repairing the speakers in the warranty but we still have to cover the postage costs? seems unfair if the monitors have a known manufacturing defect, dont you think?

I agree with you 100% on that.

Luckily, for me, mine was only 3 weeks old so I'm going to get a brand new replacement. I have to say, it is a little disappointing that I paid over £300 for a single monitor that has a manufacturing defect.

Hi Dan and friendman,

I am sorry to hear about your problems with our active speakers. Since both of you received units which are DOA, it is a clear case that they need to be repaired/replaced. Have you already been in contact with your local distributor? Typically postage costs are covered by the distributor during the warranty period but this might vary from country to country.

We have recently improved both M series models when it comes to resisting any disturbance coming through the mains power. Using an external power switch is one occasion where these kind of problems may occur more easily. Of course this update is free of charge during the warranty period.
bennfox, muokattu 4 Vuodet sitten.

RE: Re: genelec M040 wont power on

Youngling Viestejä: 1 Liittymispäivä: 22.7.2017 Viimeisimmät viestit

Both my M040's won't turn on this morning.

They are 3.5 years old and are registered, are they still elegible for the free update under the extended 5-year waranty?

They were purchased in the UK in Februrary 2014 before the March 2014 update, will I still have to pay labour, with free parts, as per the extended 5-year warranty terms, or are they covered for the free update under the extended 5-year warranty?

Thanks.

jani-oksanen, muokattu 4 Vuodet sitten.

Jedi Master Viestejä: 449 Liittymispäivä: 30.3.2017 Viimeisimmät viestit

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about the failure. Please contact your local distributor and authorized service in UK.
You can find their contact information below. They will be glad to assist you to have your monitors repaired.

Source Distribution Ltd

AddressUnit A, 23 – 25 Sunbeam Road, NW10 6JP
LondonUnited Kingdom
Tel020 8962 5080
Emailsales@sourcedistribution.co.uk
wwwhttp://www.sourcedistribution.co.uk

Best Regards,
Jani Oksanen
Factory Service Team

eduds, muokattu 4 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 2 Liittymispäivä: 3.3.2015 Viimeisimmät viestit

Bought a pair of M030 at release date for over 1000$, 1 had this problem in 2015 and had to pay the repair because I had no receipt, the other one stop working today, same problem.

This is the only studio gear I have had problems with ever, very disappointing.

And yes I have spoken with costumer service in my country, they don't recognize this problem as a product manufacturing issue, and also cause I don't have the receipt they would charge me over 400€ for the repair, that is insane!

jani-oksanen, muokattu 4 Vuodet sitten.

Jedi Master Viestejä: 449 Liittymispäivä: 30.3.2017 Viimeisimmät viestit

Hi Eduds,

I'm sorry to hear about the failure. Please contact us through Service Enquiry Form in our website. Please fill all the details asked, such as serial numbers. We will get back to you by e-mail!

https://www.genelec.com/service-enquiry-form

Best Regards,
Jani Oksanen
Factory Service Team

eduds, muokattu 2 Vuodet sitten.

RE: genelec M040 wont power on

Youngling Viestejä: 2 Liittymispäivä: 3.3.2015 Viimeisimmät viestit
eduds:

Bought a pair of M030 at release date for over 1000$, 1 had this problem in 2015 and had to pay the repair because I had no receipt, the other one stop working today, same problem.

This is the only studio gear I have had problems with ever, very disappointing.

And yes I have spoken with costumer service in my country, they don't recognize this problem as a product manufacturing issue, and also cause I don't have the receipt they would charge me over 400€ for the repair, that is insane!

At the time we were able to repair the 2º monitor failing for free thanks to Genelec (although it took like a month), now my other monitor failed again, this is the 3º time I'm dealing with this problem since I got them

Hi Dan and friendman,

I am sorry to hear about your problems with our active speakers. Since both of you received units which are DOA, it is a clear case that they need to be repaired/replaced. Have you already been in contact with your local distributor? Typically postage costs are covered by the distributor during the warranty period but this might vary from country to country.

We have recently improved both M series models when it comes to resisting any disturbance coming through the mains power. Using an external power switch is one occasion where these kind of problems may occur more easily. Of course this update is free of charge during the warranty period.

Hi Ilkka,

Thanks for the reply. The store where I bought my M030 is going to pay for shipping and they are sending me a new one.

When you say "We have recently improved both M series models when it comes to resisting any disturbance coming through the mains power. Using an external power switch is one occasion where these kind of problems may occur more easily." can you please explain this? Do you mean that the M030 now have a switch on them for turning them on and off rather than turning them on and off just at the mains?

Hi, mine were bought mail order so source distribution in the uk say i need to send it to them, for which they will not cover the postage TO them.

Hi, mine were bought mail order so source distribution in the uk say i need to send it to them, for which they will not cover the postage TO them.

I hope you get sorted, Dan.

When you say "We have recently improved both M series models when it comes to resisting any disturbance coming through the mains power. Using an external power switch is one occasion where these kind of problems may occur more easily." can you please explain this? Do you mean that the M030 now have a switch on them for turning them on and off rather than turning them on and off just at the mains?

I mean that there are some internal improvements to better resist any disturbance coming through the mains which could potentially damage the speaker, typically burn the mains fuse. M030 and M040 have always had a power switch on the back so there are no changes there.
friedman, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

I just had my second M030 develop the exactly same fault as my first one - it won't power on!! This is very, very annoying, especially considering I paid over £300 for a single monitor. I would have expected the QC to be way better than this. One developing a fault is OK but another one, developing the exact same fault, is unacceptable.

I'm getting my money back and will be staying clear of Genelec products in the future.
adriantatar, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

Padawan Viestejä: 29 Liittymispäivä: 27.5.2014 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hy

I have a pair of M030 made in 05/2013 and today when I turn on my system one of the speakers is not turn on , I reversed the cables between the speakers and nothing. I send the speaker to the store where I bough, at my expense.
I hope it will solve as soon as possible.

All the best
dan1210, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

To update the thread my monitors were fixed free of charge and returned working fine, i had to pay the carriage one way, although i sold my m040 and will be searching for a larger monitor.

My speaker was repaired without problems, thanks.
dreamyguitar, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 2 Liittymispäivä: 30.9.2014 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi there,

Was about to buy a set of M040's from Germany when I read about this issue.

Could someone from Genelec please comment on how common the issue is on the M040's?

Is there a manufacturing cutoff date (after which the update has been done) that I should be asking for when I purchase?
I'm not really interested in buying a set of brand new monitors only to have to send them back overseas to get them repaired.

Thanks
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

Hi there,

Was about to buy a set of M040's from Germany when I read about this issue.

Could someone from Genelec please comment on how common the issue is on the M040's?

Is there a manufacturing cutoff date (after which the update has been done) that I should be asking for when I purchase?
I'm not really interested in buying a set of brand new monitors only to have to send them back overseas to get them repaired.

Thanks

Hi,

Thank you for your question. The issue wasn't common on the M040 to begin with, but we decided to upgrade it as well for added protection. All M030 and M040 speakers produced since March 2014 have been updated.
dreamyguitar, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 2 Liittymispäivä: 30.9.2014 Viimeisimmät viestit
Thanks very much for getting back to me with that info Ilkka.

Will see what I can find out about manufacturing dates before I order

I buy two monitors in 05-06/2014, I had a problem with one, in 07/2014 with the other one in 04/2015, both was repaired.
In 05/2015 the monitor that was repaired in 07/2014 has again the same problem. In the same outlet I have the laptop and the subwoofer, with those I had no problems.
In 07/2014 when my first monitor was repaired, with what was replaced the part with problem, the same power supply or with added protection ?
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

I buy two monitors in 05-06/2014, I had a problem with one, in 07/2014 with the other one in 04/2015, both was repaired.
In 05/2015 the monitor that was repaired in 07/2014 has again the same problem. In the same outlet I have the laptop and the subwoofer, with those I had no problems.
In 07/2014 when my first monitor was repaired, with what was replaced the part with problem, the same power supply or with added protection ?

Hi,

You should contact your local distributor for more detailed information. They have provided the service and therefore will have more information about it.

I was contacted by them, in the reparations of this year I got the update. I'm happy that you improve the time of return of the monitors from the service, I got it back in 10 days in the conditions that in my country there is no authorized service.