Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

8020C losing all bass through the rear, help!

muskman, muokattu 5 Vuodet sitten.

8020C losing all bass through the rear, help!

Youngling Viestejä: 2 Liittymispäivä: 24.5.2013 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi there I'm Benji I'm new to the forum. I recently purchased some 8020C's after doing a short course with a producer/mastering engineer. He advised me to buy some new monitors as the ones I was using were hindering my mixing down!

Long story short I bought the 8020c after auditioning them in Leeds. In Leeds I went round the back of them as there seemed to be very little bass in the 'sweet spot' and it all seemed to be going out the back! Anyways I purchased and installed them in my small studio.

I'll explain the layout etc...

I have a room which is 4m x 5.5m and about 2.5m high I have set up a long desk all way down the side of the room and installed my setup about 1m away from the corner. Please see the drawing to help understand!
I have set up the speakers on breeze blocks using the isopod feet and away from the wall as in the manual.

The room is pretty dead apart from a slight relection from an old radiator on the wall, which I recently dulled down by stuffing sheets and pillows behind it!

The red on the drawing signifies red foam boards that the engineer provided which has really helped dampen the sound!
The green is showing where I have draped heavy bed sheets from the walls and ceiling at various angles(almost looks like a tent)
The floor is concrete with thin carpet on the floor and the ceiling is an office style gridded ceiling with ceiling tiles. I have left one wall untreated(the wall where the door is)

My desk (in front of the monitors) just has a midi keyboard and a macbook keyboard on and a couple of soundcards etc... nothing bulky and definitely not in the way of the speakers performance!

The actual desk is a 20mm thick piece of ply wood with sheets on and its resting on keyboard stands, below the desk(below the speakers) there is nothing, just an uncarpeted concrete floor.

My problem is that on the bass end! If I stand over the desk directly above the speakers I can hear the bass booming!
If I go to the same level as the speakers and put my head where the computer monitor is I can hear the bass booming!
But If I sit in my chair I can barely hear the bass at all! I can access the otherside of the wall where the speakers are up against and the bass is booming! So how can I work around this?

I dont understand the bass tilt, all it seems to do in my room is remove even more bass!

Can anyone tell me how to combat this probably common problem?
muskman, muokattu 5 Vuodet sitten.

Re: 8020C losing all bass through the rear, help!

Youngling Viestejä: 2 Liittymispäivä: 24.5.2013 Viimeisimmät viestit
Heres a screen shot of the frequency response with a sine sweep recording with a AKG C1000s in the 'sweet spot' position.

Ben
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 9 Vuodet sitten.

Re: 8020C losing all bass through the rear, help!

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi Ben,

Room acoustics is always a problematic issue because there are so many variables in play. Low frequencies, particularly, often cause problems because the wavelengths are so long that only massive objects, like heavy walls, will stop and reflect them back.

In your case it sounds as if the wall behind the speakers isn't massive/heavy enough to give good support for low frequencies, letting them escape through it.

I am not sure which curve I should be looking at in your screen shot? Also a studio conderser microphone like AKG C1000s isn't suitable for frequency response measurements as it's own response isn't flat: http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/qualit ... 5a7b18.jpg

Does your producer/mastering engineer has access to high quality measurement system which could be used to measure the frequency response? You could also use it to test if some other speaker placement gives you a better bass response.