Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

8040a questions

manoo-b, muokattu 9 Vuodet sitten.

8040a questions

Youngling Viestejä: 5 Liittymispäivä: 28.4.2013 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi just got the 8040 a monitors. loving the sound on them :)

few questions, I read the papers. a suggestion is it would be great if genelec made a short youtube video about placement and the rool off ,tilt adjustments for the kind of guys like me who are more of a simpeltons. I am sure it would help many....

I have placed the monitors about 30 -35cm from wall(behind it) and taken it to the edge of the desk(so there wont be refelctions from front). on right hand monitor about 40 cm there is a corner (closet)that opens up where the front of speaker is and goes 1.5 m further. by left monitor corner is just under 1.8m away. floor is carpet. and the walls behind me are about 3 m from monitors. the distance between monitor is 1.2 m.(use tiangle rule for my listning pos.)

I haven't treated the room yet(hoping to get some more cash to do that in future. but any suggestions to what settings (role off, til) should I start with???) I noticed after doin a mix today and listened to it in my car the bass was just about around 2-3db too much. if that helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xdu5te98pwbqw ... 042447.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c20jetpfn0821 ... 042523.jpg

thanks in advance!!!!

(any sugeestions for cheap room treatment is welcomed too ::)))
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 9 Vuodet sitten.

Re: 8040a questions

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi,

Each operating manual shows a table of recommended dip switch settings for a few typical setups. Of course those are very general recommendations because one simply can't know the acoustics of your room without measuring it first.

You mention that the mix sounded a little bass heavy in your car (I assume this is your reference system?). That means your speakers are a little light on bass then which does sound a bit strange if you haven't touched the dip settings yet. Typically it is just the opposite as we offer only attenuation settings for the bass. Are you certain that your car system is calibrated flat?

I actually eq the bass down in the car 2-3.... but my refrence point speakers are my second speakers(spirit absolute zero). they don't sound to bassy on them, but it seems highs seem on them a little less visible, (but that's I guess because of them being a far less quality monitors than genelec.)
so you would normally suggest to take bass down a little. but which should I use for that, the tilt or role off setting?? I am not sure the difference between them... the room is about 3.30 m and 4.8 m (about 15.80 m3).
really appreciate your help :)))

Hi,

I would recommend using the bass tilt setting as it gives you a wider range of bass attenuation which is needed when monitors are placed close to a wall. I would start with -2 dB setting and get used to the sound for a while. Bass roll-off attenuates only the low bass, say below 80 Hz.

behind the monitors it says 1234 in tilt..... what would 1234 stand for??? because when I tilt 1 on bass tilt up the bass goes a way a lot.... but 2 keeps more bass??
1 is -4db????

Hi,

Please see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=805&p=2764& :)

lol. cant believe there are more people like out there :) didn't see those words maybe should have been somewhere else!!
I tried setting 4 on right hand and kept left one flat . it felt best of the choices (4-3 or flat and4).