Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

Hard to decide which monitors (because of acoustics)

david-, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Hard to decide which monitors (because of acoustics)

Youngling Viestejä: 6 Liittymispäivä: 25.8.2011 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello! I'll get straight to the point.

I'm considering getting the 8030's because they're in a good price range and seem like a good size for a medium/small sized room (2,5m x 4m). The thing is the bass. I want to hear the low end, so I can get a good mix. The 8040's then comes into play, they can produce this low end, but they're big, expensive and are probably too powerful for a 2,5m x 4m room.

If I get the 8030's, will I need a sub as well? I don't want to miss out on the low end. Should I instead get the 8040's? sure they might be big but then I'll be prepared once I move to a bigger location in a few years. They can produce (most of) the low end, but is it even going to be any difference? I talked to a guy and he said my room can't reproduce less than 85hz because it's only 4m long. I'm not sure what to make of that, I should still get the low end, right? I mean, I do feel/hear the sub I'm currently using and I'm fairly certain that I've gone lower than 85hz.

So could someone explain how the room size affects how many hz I can hear? and please do leave suggestions which monitors I should get.

/David U
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Re: Hard to decide which monitors (because of acoustics)

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi,

It's an urban legend that one couldn't hear low bass in small spaces. It is absolutely not true because once you get below the lowest room mode frequency, the room starts to act like a pressure vessel where you can hear frequencies down to 0 Hz, assuming that the walls are rigid enough and your system can produce the signal.

I wouldn't say that 8040A's are too big and powerful for your room. They are classified as near field monitors and have electronic room response controls which will help them to adapt into your room acoustics. Usually you will get more trouble when adding a subwoofer than a par or larger speakers. Also the price of the systems goes quickly much higher with a subwoofer.

I would consider these two options:
2x 8030A & 5051A or 7050B subwoofer
2x 8040A

The first option will give you at least ~25 Hz extension but of course will cost more. The latter will give you ~40 Hz extension with higher quality mids and highs.