Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

8030A with 5051A

mhw94, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

8030A with 5051A

Youngling Viestejä: 11 Liittymispäivä: 6.6.2012 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello! :)

I got my 5051AW recently and I just wonder in which position you would have placed the DIP-switches on the Sub/monitor when they are connected. Or if its necessary... By the way, I love both the design and the sound quality of the 8030AWs and the 5051AW! They are both worth the price. Love them!

Sincerely
Martin
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 5 Vuodet sitten.

Re: 8030A with 5051A

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello,

please see the 5051A operating manual attached to this message.

mhw94, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 11 Liittymispäivä: 6.6.2012 Viimeisimmät viestit
Thank you so much! :)
mattipuh, muokattu 9 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 5 Liittymispäivä: 12.1.2013 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hope you don't mind borrowing your topic.
I bought F Two to support 8030A bass end.
Speakers are on the front wall (on a low shelf), 5cm off the wall. Sub is on the same wall, 10cm off the wall.
Room is about 4m wide and 6m long. Speakers are on the other end of the room, while listening position is on the other side of the room, little less than 1m off the wall.

Wires to the speakers go trough 5051 which enables the 85Hz cutoff for the subwoofer. I still had issues with the bass overdose. Sub is set to -6dB. I noticed that it helps abit if I adjust the volume from the speakers to match the correct bass, depending on the material played.

Now I set the bass roll off ON from the speakers. This seems to reduce the bass overdose quite efficiently.
Is it necessary to have the bass roll off ON with 8030 with current wire setup (DAC -> 5051 -> 8030), or just a recommendation?

with the bass roll off the sound seems to be more clear and stereo image seems better too, so I think this is a correct way to go. We're lucky that Genelecs have good adjustments that make it possible to test different settings.

Other question:
is there a response chart (dB in various frequencies) available for F Two / 5051? It would be interesting to see how high the response of 5051 goes.
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 9 Vuodet sitten.

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi,

You shouldn't use the 85 Hz bass roll-off with a 5051A subwoofer as the subwoofer already has this filter.

Recommended settings for the 8030A and F Two combination are as follows.

F Two:
- LEVEL +10 dB switch enabled (to match the input sensitivity of the 8030A speakers)
- SUBWOOFER LEVEL according to your taste and room acoustics, factory default is around 8 o'clock. This is the setting for matching the level between subwoofer and speakers.
- BASS ROLL-OFF according to your taste and room acoustics, it only affects to the very low bass.
- PHASE according to instructions in the operating manual.

8030A:
- TREBLE TILT according to your taste and room acoustics.
- 85 Hz bass roll-off NOT enabled.
- BASS TILT according to instructions in the operating manual, for example -4 dB if the speakers are placed next to a wall. You can also experiment with -6dB if bass still feels overwhelming.
- Front panel input sensitivity knob to maximum.

Let me know how it goes! :)

Maybe it is the room acoustics, but singing and guitar sounds just better and more vivid with roll off on. Havent tested the bass tilt settings, have to do it tomorrow. Thanks for great hints!

Got it sorted now, had to reduce greatly the sub levels.
Couldnt set the 8030 vol to max because there's little noice if vol is max. 1/4 from the max noise cannot be heard.
Sub level is little less than 1/4 so there's certainly enough output for this room!