Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

Need advice setting up 5.1 surround sound system

corradobrit, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Need advice setting up 5.1 surround sound system

Youngling Viestejä: 1 Liittymispäivä: 2.12.2011 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi
I did a search and couldn't find the answers to my questions. I'm familiar with the Meridian range of products having used a DSP speaker system in conjunction with a G68 processor. There were some elements of the sound that I didn't like for HT applications and so i sold it. I've now decided to get back into active speaker technology and have an opportunity to buy a set of S30C speakers or 1038B's. Which is more suitable for a home theater?

Setting up the Meridian speakers was very straightforward, but after reading the manuals for the Genelecs I'm a little confused how to setup the 5 main speakers using the digital XLR inputs if I'm using the daisychain wiring approach. I believe I will need RCA to XLR interconnects, but how do you differentiate the speakers as LCR and surround. The dip switches on the back of the S30's only allow the user to set L or R.

Is there a significant audible difference between the analog XLR and digital XLR inputs on the speakers. Currently my OPPO BDP83 is doing the conversion to LPCM which is then being passed through my Integra Research RDC7 analog 5.1 inputs. Would it be better to output the bitsteam digital signal via SPDIF to the processor and then use the balanced XLR outputs directly to the analog XLR inputs on the speaker?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Re: Need advice setting up 5.1 surround sound system

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi,

I am little confused about your question because neither the S30C not the 1038B has digital inputs. Only S30 with digital inputs is the D revision. Please clarify.