Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

home theater and digital input

macgyver, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

home theater and digital input

Youngling Viestejä: 3 Liittymispäivä: 3.10.2011 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi,

I am pretty excited about the 8240A/8250A/8260A loudspeakers and would like to purchase a set for a 5.1 full digital home theater audio setup. (D/A conversion exclusively within the loudspeaker).
I am however a bit confused about the hardware required to use a PC as DVD/BR player (including DOLBY and DTS decoding). Typical soundcards don't have have an XLR/AES3 connector. Some have SPDIF that I could try to convert to AES3 but I am not sure how distribute the compund signal to the 3 dualchannel connectors required to drive the loudspeakers in a 5.1 setup.

regards

JMR
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Re: home theater and digital input

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello,

Here is one sound cards with AES/EBU outputs: http://www.marian.de/en/products/trace_d4_src
hachre, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Padawan Viestejä: 27 Liittymispäivä: 23.9.2011 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello,

Here is one sound cards with AES/EBU outputs: http://www.marian.de/en/products/trace_d4_src

I have tried hooking my stuff up via SPDIF and it worked well. The way I understand it the difference between AES and SPDIF is only the resitance rating in the cables? So basically you are losing maximum cable length and that's it right?
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Yes, that is correct. But I assumed OP wanted to have a full 5.1 system, and that doesn't work without separate outputs.
hachre, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Padawan Viestejä: 27 Liittymispäivä: 23.9.2011 Viimeisimmät viestit
Yes, that is correct. But I assumed OP wanted to have a full 5.1 system, and that doesn't work without separate outputs.

Yeah, I just wanted to ask this question here cause it seemed fitting ;D Thanks!