Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

Genelec in Hi-Fi use

klacko, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Genelec in Hi-Fi use

Youngling Viestejä: 1 Liittymispäivä: 1.8.2011 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello,
I have an opportunity to upgrade my current system of B&W 805 monitors + Rega Mira3 integrated amp + Altec 811-8A subs + Crown power amp.
From the specs I think the 8260 might serve good in my moderately damped listening room of 75 cu m @ a listening distance of 3.5m. It would also provide new options for connecting digital sources.
Unfortunately, there are no samples of the 8260 are available in our city.
Before start nagging the Genelec rep. for a demo, I wonder if you could advise what to expect from the 8260.
HiFi sales folks are telling that a pro monitor and the home speaker are two different world - I am not so sure.
With due respect for the near-perfect specs of your product: can it "deliver the musicians" in to my livingroom?
I am listening to mainly LPs from a classic Linn turntable and a Simaudio Moon DAC for the CDs - classical, jazz, pop world music is played most.
Would you pick the 8260 to depict the Swan of Tuonela gliding in your listening room?
Thank you
klacko
mikaelts, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Re: Genelec in Hi-Fi use

Youngling Viestejä: 1 Liittymispäivä: 1.10.2010 Viimeisimmät viestit
I have a pair of 8250's in livingroom with small pro-ject dac & preamp and I can say that they perform amazingly! Don't let the hifi folks fool you, good sound is good sound, no matter if it is studio/livingroom/whatever ;)

I have also small 6010's directly connected to mac mini and price/size wise they are probably even more amazing.

With good material the speakers really deliver, I'd say no matter what (well mixed) material you throw at them.

The only problem I'm having with these is that it seems extremely difficult to build a 5.1 full digital setup by combining consumer stuff with aes/ebu world.
macgyver, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 3 Liittymispäivä: 3.10.2011 Viimeisimmät viestit
The only problem I'm having with these is that it seems extremely difficult to build a 5.1 full digital setup by combining consumer stuff with aes/ebu world.

i fully agree with that, And thats currently what is preventing me from purchasing a 5.1 set from genelec.
I found the lynx aes16. This could possibly work (http://www.lynxstudio.com/support_faq_result.asp?q=221).
Unfortunately they don't say anything about the newer Windows variants (Vista,7)
There might be some DRM crap involved.

regards

JMR
1038, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Jedi Master Viestejä: 340 Liittymispäivä: 6.4.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi Klacko,

Years ago i was heavily entrencehd in the Audiophile world, i was lucky enough to sell and setup some of the world's best equipment at the time (1982 - 1988) Over this period i was involved with brands such as Mark Levinson, Krell, SOTA, SME, Acoustat, Apogee(Ribbon Speakers) and many others.

In the 1990's i was selling Sonus Faber and M&K. I started dealing with Genelec in 2003, i have never been as proud to represent a brand as Genelec, their engineering and focus is a virtue that is lacking in many of todays companies.

I have sold many Genelec solutions to music lovers, as i honestly believe they compete, if not better the established Audiophile brands. The big point of difference is the way Genelec continually try and educate listeners on how to properly install a speaker. Genelec make stunning loudspeakers, however as soon as you install any speaker into your room, it is the room that dominates your listening experience., once this is trully understood, there are basic steps everyone can make to exploit the maximum potential from the speakers.

One thing to remember is that there is a high probability that Genelec was used somewhere in the production of your favorite CD, when you look at a pair of 1035's or 1036's remeber these were designed primarily for large studios recording Symphony Orchestras, where the dynamic range requirements are huge. Music is what Genelec do, and have done with a very clear goal for over 30 years.

I still have a few of my major speaker purchases from over the years, for some reason i develop an emotional attachment to my favorites. I still own a pair of Gale GS402's that i bought in the 80's and a pair of Sonus Faber Extremas, when i bought these i was sure they would be the last pair of speakers i would ever buy. Unfortunately that plan didn't hold water, as soon as i started hearing Genelec's i knew the Extremas were on borrowed time.

I now own a pair of 1038's, an couldn't be happier, they make my extrema's sound slow and ininvolving.

The benefits of DSP combined with the new coax driver are something you need to experience. I am in the process of setting up a demo room at the Melbourne Hi-Fi Show that will be held in 2 weeks. My main demo system will be a pair of 8260's driven directly from one of the new Aurender S10 media players, i will be going AES/EBU straight into the 8260's, GLM will provide volume control. The future of high resolution digital audio is very exciting.

At this point in time multi-channel proves challenging, only Meridian has a viable option if you want to stay in the digital domain. I honestly believe that using the Analog inputs is a far better option for surround sound at this point in time, the beauty of the speakers is that when a digital processer becomes available you have the option of easily integrating it.

Start pestering your rep, you will love the 8260's.. :)
drwho, muokattu 9 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 3 Liittymispäivä: 5.9.2012 Viimeisimmät viestit
This is my Genelec system comprising 4 nos 8050A and 2 nos 7070A for Hifi application. The sound quality will give any high end hifi system a run of its money.
milofix, muokattu 9 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 13 Liittymispäivä: 10.6.2012 Viimeisimmät viestit
DrWho, really impressive system you got! Never seen such a combination!
Very interesting!

Can I read somewhere of this system or can you give some more details on what gears that are connected and how, please?
digipete, muokattu 9 Vuodet sitten.

Padawan Viestejä: 99 Liittymispäivä: 18.6.2011 Viimeisimmät viestit
I run a full digital computer driven Genelec 5.1 surround setup, see the tagline.
I get AES/EBU from a Weiss AFI-1 fed by firewire from my MacBook Pro.
It sounds sublime.

Software players:
Stereo Music: iTunes with Pure Music / Audirvana+ / BitPerfect / Amarra (all memory buffered for low jitter)
Surround Music: Decibel (memory buffered for low jitter) http://sbooth.org/Decibel/
VLC for all movies

Have a look at http://www.computeraudiophile.com to learn more about computer driven audio.

PS. I would not use a DAC on 8200 series speakers, as they will A->D the input before DSP and then D->A it again before amplification.
drwho, muokattu 9 Vuodet sitten.

DrWho, really impressive system you got! Never seen such a combination!
Very interesting!

Can I read somewhere of this system or can you give some more details on what gears that are connected and how, please?

This review was done about 1.5 years ago.
http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.com/2011 ... to-hi.html

I have since upgraded all the other components
1. Transport is a DIY Philips CDPro2 based mechanism
2. External clock is DIY using Rubidium clock acting as System Clock for Transport and Word Clock for DAC
3. Modified Wyred4Sound Preamp
4. dCS Debussy DAC - with External Word Clock
5. Loads of Line conditioners installed, Quantum and Clarity
6. All cables are DIYed with Military Spec wires

The Genelecs will just deliver whatever is inputted into them. They have not peaked yet. With each tweak or upgrade they sounded better.
milofix, muokattu 9 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 13 Liittymispäivä: 10.6.2012 Viimeisimmät viestit
DrWho, Thanks alot for sharing!
booaaaa, muokattu 9 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 3 Liittymispäivä: 25.1.2013 Viimeisimmät viestit
i want my genelecs to shine for hifi badly because i know the sound accurate. however i have a drawback, since the speakers are very close to the wall, i cant get the staging depth. although horizontally its amazing. how can we get that depth while not moving the speakers forward?
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 9 Vuodet sitten.

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
i want my genelecs to shine for hifi badly because i know the sound accurate. however i have a drawback, since the speakers are very close to the wall, i cant get the staging depth. although horizontally its amazing. how can we get that depth while not moving the speakers forward?

Hi,

You should add acoustic treatment to your front and side walls. That will usually enhance both horizontal and 3D imaging. Also make sure your room is as symmetrical as possible so that both speakers and first room reflections will sound as close to each other as possible.
herculepirate, muokattu 9 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 14 Liittymispäivä: 4.2.2013 Viimeisimmät viestit
drwho, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

A review by Steven R Rochlin, the founder of Enjoy The Music, of my Genelec System.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Kuala_Lumpur_2015/page2.htm
lengcm, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 6 Liittymispäivä: 25.2.2012 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi,

I'm another Genelec convert. Used to be running a full Burmester system. Current running a pair of 8260s with a resolution music center. Can't be any happier with this setup!
herculepirate, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 14 Liittymispäivä: 4.2.2013 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello LengCm

Awesome move. Makes me feel that the rest of the HiFi world is nuts. I don't look at hi-fi mags anymore.... Switched to Penthouse.

Anyway. Try playing your music through a Linux computer and you will hear another level...
I am using Ubuntu and Decibel Audio player and M2Tech Evo. No special drivers. Could not set one up.

Thanks

HP
udayan, muokattu 7 Vuodet sitten.

Padawan Viestejä: 38 Liittymispäivä: 6.6.2013 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello,

I am another formerly high end HiFi listener. My current 8260s are so much better !!! They simply belongs to a much higher category...

Udayan