Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

Why the wide variation in AutoPhase calibration?

dumbo, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Why the wide variation in AutoPhase calibration?

Padawan Viestejä: 78 Liittymispäivä: 20.12.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
I'm using the GLM manager with a pair of 8240s and a 7260 sub. I got quite different phase corrections when I ran autophase at different times of the day. Even though I kept everything EXACTLY the same (the speaker positions, the choice of reference speaker, mic and furniture position etc etc) I got phase corrections of -165, -120 and -105 all on the same day. Can background noise skew the autophase correction? This kind of variation makes the autophase correction appear to be of questionable value. :?

Ps. If the phase correction can vary this drastically how is one to know which is closest to correct?
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Re: Why the wide variation in AutoPhase calibration?

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello,

this is quite normal. A 60 degree difference in phase doesn't usually affect the end result a lot. That's why our analog subwoofers have only 90 degree steps because that's usually the minimum amount of change required to see any difference in the sum response.
dumbo, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Re: Why the wide variation in AutoPhase calibration?

Padawan Viestejä: 78 Liittymispäivä: 20.12.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Thanx Ilkka,
I actually was using the first version of GLM which I don't think was working very well with my 1.5 year old iMac. I updated to version 4 and have been getting much more consistent results.

BTW, I also recommended the 6010/5040 system to my sound engineer friend. He's the guy who bought the larger 3 way Genelecs and sub for his home studio after I turned him on to the the new DSP line. After listening to the 6010/5040s he bought those too (replacing a megabuck Sonus Faber/YBA system in his bedroom). :D