Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

Need an advice!

eduardoc, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Need an advice!

Youngling Viestejä: 22 Liittymispäivä: 3.11.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello,

I need an advice to connect my ADSL TV BOX and my Sonos Zone player to my 8040A. A pre-amp could do the job, but what I want to avoid is multiple volume control. So I was thinking about a simple DAC with two digital input, directly connected to my 8040A. So I could control directly the volume with the remote control for each device.

The Sonos Zone player as a digital volume control in the 24bits domain, so this control is very correct. I don't know for my ADSL TV BOX. With this, the only problem (I have tried it by connecting the BOX RCA output to the 8040A), is that for some TV channel, even if the volume is set to 1 (on a scale going from 0 to 100), the volume is relatively loud. So, with a correct DAC, will I see a difference ? Many DACs have a 2V RCA / 4V XLR maximum output level for a 0dBFS digital signal.

What is better, a pre-amp or a DAC ?

Thank you for your help.

Cédric
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Re: Need an advice!

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello,

have you tried adjusting the input sensitivity of the 8040As? If the speaker sounds too loud even with low volume setting, set the sensitivity to the lowest setting i.e. fully counter clockwise (+6 dBu).
eduardoc, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 22 Liittymispäivä: 3.11.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello Ikka,

no I did not try this option. I have bought a DAC / pre-amp that can work in both mode. Using the device in DAC/pre-mode with 0dBFS for digital input (Sonos or TV) everything work nice. In DAC mode only, I have the sound level problem : with the TV BOX at 1, the sound is quite loud. I will try your solution.

About the digital volume control of the TV BOX, I think it is not really good. I tried the following : device in full DAC mode (XLR output, 2V by phase at 0dBFS). I played a movie (mkv, sound 48Khz). During dialogues, with no music in background, I could hear a continous breath in my 8040A. The volume of the BOX was about 25 (on scale from 0 to 100). So my understanding is that digital volume control of the BOX is not well engineered? No deethering method (or something that could give good results). I suppose that the only way to go is to play a signal at 0dBFS (volume at 100) and send it to the device in DAC/pre-amp mode ?

What do you think about this breath ? Is it what happen when digital volume control is not efficient ?

Thank you!

Cédric
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 10 Vuodet sitten.

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi,

I would at least give it a try in the DAC/pre-amp mode. Really difficult to say what could cause the described "breathing" effect.