Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

8020b VS 6020A differences and another question re: Voicing

snowman-chris, muokattu 11 Vuodet sitten.

8020b VS 6020A differences and another question re: Voicing

Youngling Viestejä: 1 Liittymispäivä: 5.4.2011 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello,

I just bought a used pair of 1029a's for my home and like the non fatiguing sound. I could get used to them real fast and I'm pretty picky. I've AB Tested your speakers with most other powered monitors and no one comes close to Genelec's sound. Genelec monitors seem to have much lower distortion than other monitors that I've listened to. The only studio monitors that were comparable to Genelecs were a pair of ATC monitors that I auditioned, but they were quite harsh.

I'm considering investing further into newer, perhaps larger Genelecs for my home theatre and Imac setups.

Question: The spec sheet would seem to indicate that the 6020A and the 8020B are exactly the same speaker. Is this true, or is the 6020A voiced differently? Are there any hardware differences that I have overlooked between the two?

Also - Regarding voicing - I am using these as part of a home theatre setup. My current speakers (Shahinian Acoustics) have much more open sound, perhaps due to a very slight midrange dip that I find pleasing. Maybe they are just overdamped and I like that sound? Not sure, but my question is if I were to go with the newer 8130a's, how extensive is the GLM software in tailoring the inherent voicing of the loudspeaker? Are the HT206b's (their apparent consumer counterpart) fundamentally different? I'm trying to find a loudspeaker that is as open sounding as my Shahinians but a little less harsh. I've listened to ALOT of speakers, and Genelecs are the only ones that come close without going to super expensive passive gear.

Thanks in advance. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Chris
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 11 Vuodet sitten.

Re: 8020b VS 6020A differences and another question re: Voicing

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello Chris,

Thank you for the compliments, it's good to hear that you chose our speakers after extensive listening tests. :)

Now to your questions: 6020A and 8020B are voiced identically. There are some differences for example in connectivity, the 8020B has only and XLR input connector while the 6020A has both RCA and XLR.

HT206B is not the consumer counterpart of the 8130A but the 1030A instead. 8130A is the DSP version of the very popular 8030A monitor. 8130A works as a part of the GLM.SE system which means that if you want to use its DSP capabilities, you need to use it with the SE7261A subwoofer. Without the subwoofer the 8130A works as a normal analogue 8030A speaker.

I am not familiar with the mentioned Shahinian Acoustics speakers but I checked their web page. Which models of their range you have? I'm sure there could be a slight midrange dip in them, but then again there can be a lot of other things that cause the difference that you are hearing.

When it comes to changing the voicing of the speaker by the help of the GLM software, please notice that there are two versions of the GLM software: GLM.SE which works only with 8130A speakers and SE7261A subwoofer, and GLM which works with 8240A, 8250A, 8260A speakers and 7260A, 7270A, 7271A subwoofers. The GLM.SE is somewhat more limited version of the software while the "full" GLM allows much more versatile adjustments including 4-6 notch filters and 4 shelving filters per each speaker/subwoofer. These filters can be used to change the voicing of the speaker by a considerable degree.

For your HT setup, I would recommend looking into 8240A or larger models.