Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

Genelec 5.1 Setup Help im so confused

james-pond, muokattu 11 Vuodet sitten.

Genelec 5.1 Setup Help im so confused

Youngling Viestejä: 8 Liittymispäivä: 8.2.2011 Viimeisimmät viestit
Dear Sir or Madam

I am a sound editor in the UK who has always enjoyed the sound of Genelecs. (never use anything but :D )

I am soon to be embarking on building a home studio to work from and also need it for the pleasure of watching movies, playing playstion etc.

My Question

When I am working I will be using my Protools Le digi002 desk to pump out the six channels of audio for my 5.1 Genelecs (8030a x3 8020a x2 +7050b sub) No problems.

BUT
I need to easily be able to switch (without unpluging my digi002) between devices when i want to watch a bluray or use my playstion on my fantastic sound system
I have no idea how to set this up!!

My brain just cant compute!

I can only think of one very messy option which is not right.

1. Run the 6 cables from the digi002 to a patchbay or switch of some description. ( do these exist??)
Then plug the Blu Ray player, playstation into the patch bay.
This then sends the signal to an AV reciever which decodes the signal and then sends it to the 7050b sub which then sends it to my speakers PHEW!

I need to make this family friendly so the wife and kids can easily use the room as a cinema when im not working.

the room has not been built yet so is the perfect time for me to run cables etc. I just dont know what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kindest Regards

Mr Pond
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 11 Vuodet sitten.

Re: Genelec 5.1 Setup Help im so confused

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Dear Mr Pond,

To my understanding you would need a device which can act as a switcher between your two sources. Unfortunately these kind of switchers appear only in the form of AV receivers/processors, for example like this Onkyo: http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/PR-SC5508.html

There you could connect your Blu-ray player via HDMI and your Digi002 desk through analogue inputs. Then it's just a matter of selecting the source which you want to play through the speaker system.