Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

HT & 8000 series for home theatre

nickh, muokattu 11 Vuodet sitten.

HT & 8000 series for home theatre

Youngling Viestejä: 7 Liittymispäivä: 3.2.2011 Viimeisimmät viestit
I'm in the process of building a home theater system. It will be in the living room sized 13x21x9ft. I am confused whether to go for the HT series or the 8000 series.

Looking at Genelec website, the speakers recommended are the HT208B/HT206B (for this room's size) which I believed are the HT versions of 1031A & 1030A. Genelec doesn't have the 8000 series equivalent in the lineup specifically for home theatre.

Now on paper the tech specs looks not dissimilar between 8050/HT208 and 8040/HT206 although I know that doesn't tell you the whole story. I have heard the 8030A in Genelec Ref Centre & they sound wonderful (in fact I'm thinking they may well suit my room size - they can really go loud effortlessly). Unfortunately the dealer doesn't have the 8040/8050 to demo & AFAIK there is no way here (UK) that I can demo the HT208/206 since they are custom install to order.

I've read the technology that goes into the 8000 series but how does that actually translates to sound quality and more importantly when compared to the HT series ?

Is there anything special/extra (compared to 8000 series) in the HT208/206 that Genelec still recommend them in HT setup? or would I be wise to go for the 8000 series?
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 11 Vuodet sitten.

Re: HT & 8000 series for home theatre

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi Nick,

For sure nothing prevents one from using 8000 series for home theatre, actually most of the speakers put in home theatres (or similar applications) here in Finland are 8000 series speakers. There are a few features like the RCA connector and the LED dimming possibility on the HT series models which are useful in HT use, but sound quality and performance wise the 8000 series models are a notch above the comparable HT series models.

For the LCR speakers, I wouldn't go smaller than 8040A for the room specified. Surrounds can be one model number smaller, meaning 8030A.

Thanks for the reply Ilkka. I have a question about subwoofer if you dont mind :)

So for my HT, if I choose 5x8040a (or 3x8040a + 2x8030a) am I ok to go with 7070A subwoofer or would I be better with HTS4B (bearing in mind the size of my room). I have been offered a good price for a 5-yr old 7070A but I'm really not sure whether they are suitable for HT use (or actually even better ?)

Subjectively (not looking at measurement, graphs etc) how do you evaluate how good a sub is, when integrated into satellite systems? What do you actually/specifically listen to?
1038, muokattu 11 Vuodet sitten.

Jedi Master Viestejä: 340 Liittymispäivä: 6.4.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
but sound quality and performance wise the 8000 series is a notch above the HT series.

Hi Ilkka,

I would just like to clarify your above comment.

It should read "but sound quality and performance wise the 8000 series is a notch above the comparable HT series."

The HT210's and 3 way monitors share the same performance as their pro equivalents.

I am being slightly pedantic as i have already received a call asking about the 1032A/HT210 comparison.

Thanks for the reply Ilkka. I have a question about subwoofer if you dont mind :)

So for my HT, if I choose 5x8040a (or 3x8040a + 2x8030a) am I ok to go with 7070A subwoofer or would I be better with HTS4B (bearing in mind the size of my room). I have been offered a good price for a 5-yr old 7070A but I'm really not sure whether they are suitable for HT use (or actually even better ?)

Subjectively (not looking at measurement, graphs etc) how do you evaluate how good a sub is, when integrated into satellite systems? What do you actually/specifically listen to?

Hi Nick,

Your choice in subwoofer will ultimately have to do with how you choose to perform bass mangement.

Typically the HT range of subs is specified for home use due to the x-over characteristics and smaller size. You can use a pro sub, the only proviso is that you should perform bass management at the sub, NOT in your processor as the x-over in the pro range is fixed at 85Hz. So with pro sub SS processor should be set all speakers full range, then run all channels to the sub, then onto the speakers.

but sound quality and performance wise the 8000 series is a notch above the HT series.

Hi Ilkka,

I would just like to clarify your above comment.

It should read "but sound quality and performance wise the 8000 series is a notch above the comparable HT series."

The HT210's and 3 way monitors share the same performance as their pro equivalents.

I am being slightly pedantic as i have already received a call asking about the 1032A/HT210 comparison.

Hi Steve,

You are absolutely right. I edited my earlier sentence.

Performance wise, 7070A and HTS4B are really close. There might some 1 Hz or 1 dB differences here and there, but in general they can be considered as equal when it comes to performance.

The biggest difference is, as Steve already pointed out, that the HTS4B doesn't have a built-in bass management in it (normal for an HT subwoofer), so it needs a separate device for that job, usually a home theatre processor. Nothing prevents one from using a 7070A for HT purposes. One can use its built-in bass management instead of the processor's which will at least provide easier and more robust setup as modern HT processors are quite complex devices so one really needs to know what sort of settings to put in in order to achieve a good end result.

This is a difficult one. :) It's really hard to explain how a well integrated sat/subwoofer system should sound, but if you have a lot of experience, you can tell pretty much instantly when things aren't right. Basically the system should sound like big main speakers, not a separate sat/sub combo. You shouldn't be able to tell that certain sounds are coming from the subwoofer, nor you should be able to tell where in the room the subwoofer is. In other words the subwoofer shouldn't be locatable. Already this requires that the subwoofer is matched to the speakers both level (gain) and time (phase) wise. Of course the frequency response of the whole system should be as flat as possible without any gaps or bumps in the very critical crossover region.

Hi Nick,

Your choice in subwoofer will ultimately have to do with how you choose to perform bass mangement.

Typically the HT range of subs is specified for home use due to the x-over characteristics and smaller size. You can use a pro sub, the only proviso is that you should perform bass management at the sub, NOT in your processor as the x-over in the pro range is fixed at 85Hz. So with pro sub SS processor should be set all speakers full range, then run all channels to the sub, then onto the speakers.

Thanks Steve. That may be the better way for me as my AVR only do some basic bass management.

I believe you also install Pro & HT series - how do you compare SQ wise between the 8000 series with their HT counterparts?

Nik

Hi Nik,

When choosing products, i recommend that you take a long term view and prioritise your objectives.

The big issue that we all face is correct installation, Illka has already touched on this. The performance of your system will ultimately be based on 3 main determining factors..

1. Room acoustics
2. Correct Installation
3. Product choice

The 8000 series outperforms the old HT series, but that doesn't mean i always specify the 8000 products. Many factors come into play in regards to product choice, sound quality is only one of them.

Aesthetics, integration, convenience also play deciding factors, however, without a doubt the main 2 way product i recommend to all my dealers and clients is the 8200 series. I can't emphasise what a major impact correct room eq has upon your system. Unfortunately, although most domestic consumers talk about how important sound quality is to them, it usually doesn't translate into action when it comes to correct system design and installation as there are many competing priorities.

Most domestic rooms have little or no treatment, and the speakers are more often than not installed where convenient, not for best performance. This is where the 8200's really shine. DSP is not and should not be thought of as a way of making bad rooms sound great. The 8200's will have a major impact on the perceived sound quality of the room they are installed in, but one of the main benefits of the GLM package is that it allows end users to see what is happening in room. The calibration process is very quick, so it allows you to see what impact moving speakers/listening position/acoustic treatments have, this way you can efficiently fine tune your room, before you perform the final calibration.

The best advice i can give you is to prioritise the important things, speaker placement, listening location, and calibration. Don't get bogged down in the fine details, Genelec give you all the information you need, read it, understand it and you will end up with a great system that you will enjoy for many years. When specifying product i only use the pro working sheet not the HT sheet. The pro sheet is based on accuracy/fidelity where as the HT sheet basically specifies a minimum system to achieve the required SPL as the room is assumed to be not acoustically valid (that is my basic definition, not Genelec's)

The centre channel is usually the sticking point in most designs as it fights for the same real estate as the screen, once you have determined what you are prepared to do for this channel, the rest of the design falls into place fairly quickly. If you are doing front projection, i can't emphasise enought the importance of an acoustically transparent screen. If using plasma/LCD screen, particularly 60+ inches, if you can't get the centre channel in a valid spot, consider not using one! Understand the compromise, then make a decision.

If you have not read the Genelec installation guide, i recommend that you download it and have a good read, i'm sure you will be impressed at the information provided.

Here is a link http://www.genelec-ht.com/learning-center/installation-guide/

Thanks for the advice Steve. I probably can't extend my budget to the 8200 series atm but since time is on my side that (room eq) is something that I'll be looking into. I've read a bit about REW (you most probably knew - free software & a lot of people rave about it) & am looking to see how I can integrate that into my Gens system.

BTW the installation guide is indeed really good!

Nick
matthias, muokattu 11 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 2 Liittymispäivä: 9.2.2010 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi

I would like to install in my HT a system with 5x 8030 plus Subwoofer 7060.
As I don´t want to use a professional Reveiver (i.e. Denon DN A7100) because of lackness on connectivity and decoding.
I am not sure which AV Receiver I should buy and would fit the best to the above config.
May be somebody here can give me a good recommendation.

Thanks in advance,

kind regards

Matthias