Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

8050A's vs HT208's for Home Theatre

toolman, muokattu 11 Vuodet sitten.

8050A's vs HT208's for Home Theatre

Youngling Viestejä: 5 Liittymispäivä: 24.9.2010 Viimeisimmät viestit
On the advice of my dealer I purchased a set of 8050A's for the front and center speakers of my home theatre setup. When I use the speaker selection guide on the "Professional Monitor" site, it indicates that I need much larger 1039A's as fronts for my 10' listening distance. If I use the "Custom Install" site it indicates that I need only HT206B's for my fronts. My room is 14' wide with an open concept back wall: the room has been acoustically treated.

What's the difference between the 8050A monitors and the similar HT208 home theatre speakers?

I'm looking to upgrade my rear non-active speakers to 8040A's but I want to be sure I am going the right direction.

Thanks,

John
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 11 Vuodet sitten.

Re: 8050A's vs HT208's for Home Theatre

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello John,

The speaker selection guides provide just a very rough guidelines, usually much more information is needed for a good match. Also the requirements in studio and home theatre are somewhat different, therefore also different recommendations.

But as a general advice, bigger speakers will provide bigger and better sound, as long as the listening distance is sufficient for good LF/MF/HF summing. At 10' distance all of our speakers are suitable so it's all about the budget, SPL and LF requirements. Even the smallest 6010A's will provide nice sound in the space you have but naturally the SPL and LF might not be sufficient for serious HT use. 8050A's on the other hand are already much larger speakers and will be able to provide much higher SPL and also better LF. Of course subwoofer will improve the LF even further.

The 8050A and HT208B are totally different speakers. The HT208B is based on the older MDF boxed 1031A while the 8050A is a newer generation aluminium enclosure design. For more accurate differences in the design and performance, please check:

8050A - http://www.genelec.com/products/2-way-monitors/8050a/
HT208B - http://www.genelec-ht.com/active-2-way/ht208b/

8040A or even 8030A will be sufficient as surround speakers if mains (LCR) are in the 8050A range.

Thanks Ilkka,
I ordered my black (grey) 8040A's from the Canadian distributor and was advised that they are only available in white? These are not going to match my black 8050A's???????????

Can these be painted?

John
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 11 Vuodet sitten.

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hi John,

I wouldn't recommend painting the cabinets. But I don't really understand the Canadian distributor's comment. Of course the 8040As are available also in matt black, that's the default Genelec colour. :shock: Maybe he meant that they don't have them in stock?

Thanks Ilkka, it turns out they misunderstood and can get the black, however they want to charge a re-stocking fee so I think I'll keep the white ones.

John