Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

i'm in love with my 8040's, but ...

jonathan-s, muokattu 11 Vuodet sitten.

i'm in love with my 8040's, but ...

Youngling Viestejä: 22 Liittymispäivä: 2.5.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
I've had a pair of 8040's for a couple of years now, and i have a hard time imagining owning any other pair of speakers ( the sound/size is just perfect). Thing is i need a pair in a livingroom where everything else is kind of minimalistic, and putting a pair of anthrazit speakers with a big green light in front there doesn't really fit in.

I've seen that you've got different finishes on the speakers, for instance there's a silver 8030. My question is: is there any way at all to get a custom finish on a pair of 8040's, and also without the green front LED? I realize the latter might intrude on the product design, but if it were possible i would be in heaven...

Re: i'm in love with my 8040's, but ...

Actually, the 6040A in the HT range is a good candidate. Are they only available in the greyish color, or white too? Do they differ with 8040 in any way other than the obvious (elements, amplifier, etc), such as the DCW to be able to give satisfactory results to 3 guys in a sofa or so?
ilkka-rissanen, muokattu 11 Vuodet sitten.

Yoda Viestejä: 2564 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello Jonathan,

The 8040A is available in matt black (anthracite) and white finish options. Custom finish options are unfortunately not available.

The front led can not be removed because there is a hole for the led in the cast itself. You can try to cover it with something elegant though, if that helps.

The 6040A is available only in silver colour. The biggest difference is the enclosure loading which is sealed instead of bass reflex found in the 8040A. The 6040A also has an integrated stand with the amplifier section on the bottom of it.

When it comes to DCW and directivity, the 6040A and 8040A are more or less identical.

Thanks for your reply.

The biggest difference is the enclosure loading which is sealed instead of bass reflex found in the 8040A. The 6040A also has an integrated stand with the amplifier section on the bottom of it.

How does this affect the bass performance? Having read your subwoofer paper and watched your reflex animation which both explain the importance of laminar flow out of the enclosure, this seems odd? Is the character of the bass somehow different than in the 8040?

Since the efficiency of a sealed system is lower, the bass output (max SPL at low frequencies) will be lower and there will be slightly more distortion. Also the maximum SPL of the whole speaker will be lower because of this.

The 6040A is an older design compared to the 8040A. The design choices made serve the purpose of the speaker, but where absolute performance is important, the 8040A should be the one to choose.

I was at the hifi expo in gothenburg yesterday and saw they had both white and black (not anthrazit) 8260. Are you going to start selling them with these finishes, and more importantly, will the 8240 be available in black?
chloratier, muokattu 11 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 7 Liittymispäivä: 6.4.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
I was at the hifi expo in gothenburg yesterday and saw they had both white and black (not anthrazit) 8260. Are you going to start selling them with these finishes, and more importantly, will the 8240 be available in black?

Dear Jonathan, dear Genelec team,

Do 8260a exist in white finish ? I believed that DSP versions only exist in black (the exact color is "charcoal grey" for all 8000 serie), as it is mentionned on your website and on your paper catalogue :?: Or is it a mistake in the typo ?

If 8260a exist in white, when will they be available ?

Thank you for your answers.
Kind regards,

Olivier.

Hello Jonathan and Olivier,

The standard Genelec finish options for 8000-series speakers are matt black (also sometimes referenced as anthracite or charcoal black), silver and white. 8x40A and 8x50A are only available in matt black and white finishes.

During the years people have been asking for a true black finish option instead. In the new 4000-series this true black finish option was introduced. At the moment the 6010A, 8020B and 5040A are also available in true black finish option.

The true black and white 8260A shown in the Gotherburg HiFi show were special models, only one pair of each exist at the moment.
chloratier, muokattu 11 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 7 Liittymispäivä: 6.4.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Thank you very much, Ilkka ! :)

Best regards,

Olivier.
maximilian, muokattu 9 Vuodet sitten.

Youngling Viestejä: 12 Liittymispäivä: 13.4.2013 Viimeisimmät viestit
Polished Aluminium 8260's please ;)