Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

Consumer Theater Speakers Vs. Professional Studio Monitors

jlp1021, muokattu 12 Vuodet sitten.

Consumer Theater Speakers Vs. Professional Studio Monitors

Youngling Viestejä: 1 Liittymispäivä: 29.7.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
I am building a small home theater in my basement 20 feet x 14.5 feet x 7.5 feet (there is a partition or back wall with a curtain so the actual volume of the room is around 2,700 cu. ft.). I will have the Denon AVP-a1hdci processor and PS3 along with simply a 60" Kuro Pro 141-FD Elite Plasma display.

I am having a difficult time selecting speakers. The retailer I am using is suggesting a 7.1 system with (7) HT206's and (1) HTS4B subwoofer.

Having a musical background (film composer) who has done a lot of critical listening, I'm considering getting (5) Genelec studio 8050A's instead which have a broader frequency response (down to 38hz) and 8 inch bass driver... it might be a better bang for the buck.

Which are a better choice for this application? There will probably be seating for 6 people, but the front center seat will have a listening distance of 9.75 feet to the front and rear speakers (if I install 7 speakers), and only 6.5 feet from the side surrounds.

I'm trying to achieve a balanced and impressive theatrical experience. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
dupe, muokattu 12 Vuodet sitten.

Re: Consumer Theater Speakers Vs. Professional Studio Monitors

Youngling Viestejä: 14 Liittymispäivä: 8.5.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
It difficult looking at someone else’s design as we don't know all the room details, your requirements and the proposed layout, but to answer your question:

The 206s are a great speaker and I have done a few cinemas the size of yours with 3 across the front (I have some at home too). The low frequency cut-off of cinema speakers does not matter too much as the processor will direct everything below 80Hz to the sub, its easier to deal with one low frequency source than 8 from a room acoustics point-of-view!

One idea one be to upgrade the front 3 to 208s, these would match the sub better and maybe do AIW25 around the rears?

Dupe...