Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

DSP Multi Point Measurements

andreas, muokattu 13 Vuodet sitten.

DSP Multi Point Measurements

Padawan Viestejä: 61 Liittymispäivä: 8.4.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Dear Support Team,

my setup will soon consist of 3x 8240 for the front and 4x 1029APM for the surrounds to meet 7.1, plus a non Genelec Subwoofer :oops: All is there, besides the center 8240 and the DSP manager package.

I noticed when reading the DSP manual, that multipoint measurements are possible. Are there any plans also to allow multi point measurements for "averaging" listening positions in HT installations, like Audyssey does ?
christophe-anet, muokattu 13 Vuodet sitten.

Re: DSP Multi Point Measurements

Jedi Knight Viestejä: 188 Liittymispäivä: 23.3.2009 Viimeisimmät viestit
Hello,

Thanks for your post and question. Thanks for purchasing our products. Our current product portfolio features DSP, GLM and AutoCal technologies in professional monitoring systems.

Now, if your application is home theater (something which is unclear in your message) nothing prevents you in using current AutoCal and GLM technologies for home theater setups, although the user interface is primarily targeted to professional applications. AutoCal Multipoint measurement can be used for averaging the result over a listening area rather than just the "sweet spot" (note: Multipoint measurement and spatial averaging over multiple listening positions means the same thing).

On a wider scope, Genelec is always listening very carefully the market needs and customer comments in order to analyze and consider possible new product development in specific market segments. As mentioned before, we are constantly working on developing new solutions that provide real benefits to the end-users and clear improvements in audio quality! So, stay tuned!

Best regards,

AutoCal Multipoint measurement can be used for averaging the result over a listening area rather than just the "sweet spot

Dear Christophe, that sounds really great.

I thought from the last tutorial video the multipoint was only valid to have for different real "sweet spots", but not for averaging those. But as you confirm averaging is also possible, that is really neat, good job. Thx for the confirmation. Will order the manager asap :D

Dear Andrea,

Thanks for your reply. To clarify further these two measurements methods, the very interesting use of the AutoCal SinglePoint is indeed to calibrate a single sweet spot. But as you can create many GLM System Setup files and recall them very easily, via assigned functions keys for example, you can very quickly create calibration files for other sweet spots in the room - i.e. the producer seat, the assistant engineer off-axis position, etc... and recall these in few sec to provide optimum listening conditions for other calibrated seats.

Now, the MultiPoint calibration system is different in the sense that it is a spatial averaging method where you take measurements from few points and then the GLM software will optimize the entire listening area. The primary listening position measurement constitutes 50% of the MultiPoint response and the sum of the other measurements makes up the remainder. This biases the results towards the centre of the listening area.

Happy calibration!
Best regards,

Christophe, that all sounds perfect. Thx alot ;)

One more thing. Is there any option to control volume of the 8240/8250 without a PC/Griffin Powermate, and only running a constant SPDIF source ? Say I use 7.1 analogue XLR for Home Theater and for pure stereo I only want to hook up a CD Player with a constant SPDIF output to the AES/EBU input, do I have any chance to control SPL inside the DSP speakers without running a PC ?

Sooner or later I will go back to a dedicated PC, but right now the focus is not there.

Dear Andreas,

You can control all of our DSP speakers using the GLM software. You need to have the network cables connected to all speakers and then run GLM - the limited window shows only the volume control fader and the level presets - on your PC.

If you connect a CD player fixed output to our DSP systems you need to adjust the volume in either the source (via a preamp for example) or in the speaker. At the speaker end you have the choice of GLM software control or PC/Griffin Powermate type of hardware control.

Your desired stereo setup lacks volume control indeed.

Thx Christophe, all clear now.