Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

2x7360 or 1x7370

jantex, muokattu 4 Vuodet sitten.

2x7360 or 1x7370

Padawan Viestejä: 36 Liittymispäivä: 11.3.2015 Viimeisimmät viestit

I am thinking of adding a sub to my 8351 setup and would like to know what is better option:

1x7370 or 2x7360?

I am less concerned about headroom limitations, because I would have enough headroom even with single 7360, but more what can I expect to give me better low end (more linear, help fighting the room modes).

markus-kahelin, muokattu 4 Vuodet sitten.

RE: 2x7360 or 1x7370

Jedi Knight Viestejä: 109 Liittymispäivä: 16.3.2010 Viimeisimmät viestit

Hi!

There is no short reply to this, but let's try.

First of all, the more the merrier and bigger is better. Bigger subwoofer has bigger driver, more internal cabinet volume and usually also more amplifier power. All these are good for low end playback.

Single subwoofer is often preferred in studio monitoring applications, because that way the monitoring system can be more easily calibrated to be perfectly time and phase aligned to the single listening position. This requires that the position of the subwoofer in the room can be selected to offer best possible frequency response. Quite often in smaller rooms single subwoofer also results with relatively small optimal listening area "sweet spot".

Use of dual subwoofers gives more freedom for the subwoofer positioning in the room and offers wider coverage for larger listening area. This is common for cinema rooms. Still the calibration and positioning of the subwoofers is important.

My suggestion would be to select 1x7370 as a starting point, if size and positioning is not a problem.

Best Regards, Markus

Genelec Support Team

jantex, muokattu 4 Vuodet sitten.

Markus Kahelin:

Hi!

There is no short reply to this, but let's try.

First of all, the more the merrier and bigger is better. Bigger subwoofer has bigger driver, more internal cabinet volume and usually also more amplifier power. All these are good for low end playback.

Single subwoofer is often preferred in studio monitoring applications, because that way the monitoring system can be more easily calibrated to be perfectly time and phase aligned to the single listening position. This requires that the position of the subwoofer in the room can be selected to offer best possible frequency response. Quite often in smaller rooms single subwoofer also results with relatively small optimal listening area "sweet spot".

Use of dual subwoofers gives more freedom for the subwoofer positioning in the room and offers wider coverage for larger listening area. This is common for cinema rooms. Still the calibration and positioning of the subwoofers is important.

My suggestion would be to select 1x7370 as a starting point, if size and positioning is not a problem.

Best Regards, Markus

Genelec Support Team

Dear Markus, thank you very much for your detailed description. I will therefore opt for a single 7370.

Best regards, Tine

jantex, muokattu 3 Vuodet sitten.

I just wanted to say that I tested both options and really preferred two 7360 to a single 7370. While both were performing basically with the same max SPL and managed to extend the SPL of 8351s and make them perform even better, I simply preferred the impact of stereo subs.

Besides, since I have a slight 6dB dip at 85Hz, I could cross them at 100Hz and found stereo configuration really beneficial with high crossover point, because I could achieve a perfectly flat response without sacrificing stereo image.

clearsignal, muokattu 3 Vuodet sitten.

Padawan Viestejä: 50 Liittymispäivä: 2.3.2018 Viimeisimmät viestit
jantex:

I just wanted to say that I tested both options and really preferred two 7360 to a single 7370. While both were performing basically with the same max SPL and managed to extend the SPL of 8351s and make them perform even better, I simply preferred the impact of stereo subs.

Besides, since I have a slight 6dB dip at 85Hz, I could cross them at 100Hz and found stereo configuration really beneficial with high crossover point, because I could achieve a perfectly flat response without sacrificing stereo image.

+1

My 2c:

In a stereo setup, 2 smaller subs are superior to 1 large sub.

I started with 8431 x 2 + 7370 where the sub was directly placed by one monitor (It’s my living room, so options are limited). I didn’t like it a bit! The reverberations were keenly felt on one side of my body, but the other was left “cold”. Furthermore, one node of the system was more amplified, more excited if you will. Long story short: I swapped the 7370 with 2 x 7360, each placed by a monitor. The balance is wonderful now. I can’t believe how much I enjoy the system.

(P.S. GLM is a “must”)