Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

M040 or 8340 SAM

shialarandom, muokattu 4 Vuodet sitten.

M040 or 8340 SAM

Youngling Viestejä: 1 Liittymispäivä: 3.7.2017 Viimeisimmät viestit

Hey everyone, I'm considering to buy my first pair of Genelecs this month and I'm really confused as to what to choose. 

For quite some time I have been using a pair of 10-inch studio monitors in an acoustically untreated room of about 5m x 3m which was a really bad choice as there were lot of reverbations and extra noises that were ruining my work. Right now I am stuck between two options, the M040s or the 8340 SAM. I understand that going for the SAMs is a better choice considering what the new technology can do in regards to audio treatment, however considering that I will also be treating the room, I am leaning more towards the M040s (for budget reasons). Will that be a good choice for a room of that size? 

Also, when I clicked on the "product selection tool" in Genelec's website, I noticed that the M040s are not placed under the medium sized monitors that is said to be ideal for music production on the website but instead, under the "small" category, despite the fact that their cones are the same size. Can someone please specify whether they are ideal for making electronic music and whether their low end is rich enough for that purpose?

Thanks in advance!

markus-kahelin, muokattu 4 Vuodet sitten.

RE: M040 or 8340 SAM

Jedi Knight Viestejä: 109 Liittymispäivä: 16.3.2010 Viimeisimmät viestit

Hi!

Main difference between M040 and 8340 is as you mentioned the SAM technology and ability to automatically calibrate the system to the room. On top of this, 8340 has big range of available accessories and mounting options, where M040 is designed to be placed directly on the table or on generic speaker stands.

The amount of low frequencies is always a combination of few performace aspects. One is the frequency range that the speaker can play out. 8340 goes 6Hz lower than M040, that is not a big difference. Another thing is the overall power capacity of the speaker, that is all Genelec monitors is safely controlled by the integrated protection system. 8340 can play 3dB louder and that already is a notable difference. Third thing is the ability to adapt to the room, since this greatly influences the possible accuracy of the low frequency playback. Again, 8340 has much better toolset to enable better and more controlled playback with the GLM software and AutoCal calibration.

One more thing to remember, is that the Genelec SAM range has a selection of matching subwoofers, that can be used to extend to low frequncy output to lowest musical notes available. The use of a subwoofer in monitoring system also greatly improves the overall performance and ability to play louder.

M040 has been designed for project and home studios and is not sold worldwide in all markets.

So my suggestion from the factory support seat would be the 8340 SAM system.

Best Regards, Markus