Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

How loud is too loud

stefan75, muokattu 4 Vuodet sitten.

How loud is too loud

Youngling Viestejä: 16 Liittymispäivä: 18.3.2017 Viimeisimmät viestit

My home cinema now has 1038 LCR, 1037 rears and two 7071 subs (8x5x3m room).

After calibration some (LFE intense) movie scenes are up to 110dB, most scenes around 90dB.

I've read about what levels that can cause hearing damage... but I'm curious what you think...

Is it dangerous enjoying 2h movies at these levels?

markus-kahelin, muokattu 4 Vuodet sitten.

RE: How loud is too loud

Jedi Knight Viestejä: 109 Liittymispäivä: 16.3.2010 Viimeisimmät viestit

In general, 85dB is considered as a maximum safe level for long term sound exposure. This can be found for example in different safety related regulations. Hearing damage can occur with levels higher than that and it all depends on the overall duration and maximum sound levels during the long term listening. Also human hearing starts to loose it's best accuracy also with loud listening levels, already before damage can occur. So fo these reasons we don't suggest too loud listening levels for long term listening.

It is a good starting point that you are monitoring these levels and can adjust your movie experinece based on the results.

Best Regards, Markus

Genelec Support Team

elsapo2001, muokattu 4 Vuodet sitten.

RE: How loud is too loud

Youngling Viestejä: 19 Liittymispäivä: 3.10.2017 Viimeisimmät viestit

My home cinema now has 1038 LCR, 1037 rears and two 7071 subs (8x5x3m room).

After calibration some (LFE intense) movie scenes are up to 110dB, most scenes around 90dB.

I've read about what levels that can cause hearing damage... but I'm curious what you think...

Is it dangerous enjoying 2h movies at these levels?

Wow that too high. I would lower those levels to safe ranges.