Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

Woofer Rattle

nic, muokattu 4 Vuodet sitten.

Woofer Rattle

Youngling Viestejä: 5 Liittymispäivä: 24.5.2017 Viimeisimmät viestit

Hi
I have the SE system with the 7261 sub
I can notice that when i turn the volume up, there is a rattle sound.
There is no rattle at low and moderate volume, but when turned up there seems to be a point where 

Im wondering if il need a new woofer, or if its a problem with my gain stage? Is it ok if the volume of the GLM is set high (currently -10db)
Should i keep this at 0db and just use the audio interface for the volume control?

I have focusrite scarlet 2i4 sound card and a behringer ultra match pro AD/DA converter.
The levels on the AD/DA converter have headroom when the rattle starts.

If it sounds like a woofer problem then is it possible to purchase a replacement woofer?

Thanks

markus-kahelin, muokattu 4 Vuodet sitten.

RE: Woofer Rattle

Jedi Knight Viestejä: 109 Liittymispäivä: 16.3.2010 Viimeisimmät viestit

Hi!

It is possible that the input of the subwoofer is overloaded with a loud signal, that can cause audible distrotion. This is easy to detect, by looking at the LED on the subwoofer connector panel. Yellow or red blink indicates overload that is caused by a loud input signal. 

It is just fine to keep the GLM volume control at -10dB or any other setting, this should not cause any audible issues.

Broke woofer usually makes rattling sound also at lower playback levels, but it is possible that it is the cause. This is impossible to say withour propoer technical fault finding. Just to be sure, please inspect the reflex port of the subwoofer for any foreign objects.

For service and spare parts, they are available by your local Genelec distributor, fell free to contact them.

https://www.genelec.com/where-buy

Best Regards, Markus

Genelec Support