Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Keskusteluryhmät

Optimal settings for F2 and G3 pair

esco, muokattu 4 Vuodet sitten.

Optimal settings for F2 and G3 pair

Youngling Viestejä: 2 Liittymispäivä: 21.1.2015 Viimeisimmät viestit

I just bought a F2 subwoofer to accompanie a pair of G3.

What kind of settings are you using with similar setup? What are recommendesd settings?

The reason I am asking is because I am having bit of a trouble finding the optimal settings that would sound perfect.

Please find attched some photos showing my current settings and also how my listening area looks like.

Thank you for any information, hints or tips you can provide.

jani-oksanen, muokattu 4 Vuodet sitten.

RE: Optimal settings for F2 and G3 pair

Jedi Master Viestejä: 449 Liittymispäivä: 30.3.2017 Viimeisimmät viestit

Thank you for choosing Genelec!

Few things to get you started, it is very important to get your subwoofer phase done after finding the best positioning on your room. Please read the subwoofer manual and Monitor Setup Guide 2017 carefully and if you have any questions or concerns don't hesitate to ask!

Here is few tips:

1.  G3 monitors should be placed to front of the table if possible. This way there is not so much reflection coming from the table.
  2.  There is alot of hard surfaces on the room, and simply big fluffy rug and bigger curtains could help to remove some of the reflections.
  3. Go to this link, and set the phase as instructed: https://www.genelec.com/sites/default/files/media/Speakers%20for%20home/F%20Series/F%20Two/genelec_f-two_opman.pdf
  4. Check this link, very good tips related to monitor placement and room acoustics: https://www.genelec.fi/sites/default/files/media/Studio%20monitors/Catalogues/monitorsetupguide_2017-lowres.pdf

The placement of the subwoofer in the room affects  the  overall  frequency  response  and  sound level of the system dramatically, as at low frequencies the effects of the room are strong. Even a slight change in the location of the subwoofer can cause a marked difference in  the  frequency  balance  and  often  patient and methodical experimentation and testing is needed to find the optimum placement. The  placement  will  also  affect  the  bass roll-off rate and the phase difference between the main loudspeakers and the subwoofer. These effects can be compensated using the controls in the subwoofer but we recommend that at first you leave the switches untouched and concentrate on finding the position where the subwoofer gives the smoothest response, and only then use the controls to fine-tune the balance and phase alignment between the subwoofer and the main loudspeakers. Start by placing the subwoofer close to the center of the front wall. We recommend a distance of less than 60 cm / 24” to the wall. This position gives increased acoustic loading and sound pressure level due to the proximity of the front wall and floor. Ideally the subwoofer
and main loudspeakers should be positioned symmetrically and at an equal distance from the listening position. If the frequency balance is not quite right, try moving the subwoofer to the left or right along the wall so that different room modes are  excited  at  different  levels.  Positioning the  subwoofer  close  to  a  corner  will  boost the bass level at lower frequencies and may cause asymmetrical spatial imaging.

esco, muokattu 4 Vuodet sitten.

RE: Optimal settings for F2 and G3 pair

Youngling Viestejä: 2 Liittymispäivä: 21.1.2015 Viimeisimmät viestit

Thank you jani-oksanen for your answer

The articles you linked are very usefull and they provide lots of tips and instructions.

To get the best sound out of my system required and still requires a lot of work and testing. I though that there would be a shortcut for the correct settings but I was very wrong. smiley