Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Genelec 8341's with Two 7350's

jndittmar, modified 4 Years ago.

Genelec 8341's with Two 7350's

Youngling Posts: 4 Join Date: 1/24/18 Recent Posts

I currently have two Genelec 8341's and two 7350's. I was running a single 7350 for a while and loved how it sounded with the main monitors. I added a second subwoofer and now I'm having trouble incoporating it into my setup. I used the GLM 3 software to calibrate the system and the subwoofers, but the result doesn't sound quite right. It seems like they are still out of phase with eachother or something is off. The low end doesn't sound like it's coming for the center of the stereo image, but rather it's coming from the sides.

Am I missing something on how to use two subwoofers with the GLM software? At this point I might just return the second sub and go back to just one.

RE: Genelec 8341's with Two 7350's

jndittmar:

I currently have two Genelec 8341's and two 7350's. I was running a single 7350 for a while and loved how it sounded with the main monitors. I added a second subwoofer and now I'm having trouble incoporating it into my setup. I used the GLM 3 software to calibrate the system and the subwoofers, but the result doesn't sound quite right. It seems like they are still out of phase with eachother or something is off. The low end doesn't sound like it's coming for the center of the stereo image, but rather it's coming from the sides.

Am I missing something on how to use two subwoofers with the GLM software? At this point I might just return the second sub and go back to just one.

After messing around with the different phase options I think I came to a solution. Originally, the GLM software had the subs at -120 Left and 120 Right for phase. I tried putting both subs at -120 and that seemed to tighten up the sound and put it back in the center. It got rid of the weird phasy stereo sub sound. The result sounds correct to me, but if someone can confirm or correct what I'm doing that would be great.
lukester, modified 4 Years ago.

Jedi Master Posts: 296 Join Date: 4/22/10 Recent Posts

haven't done stereo subs with glm yet, hope to do it soon.

you coupled one sub to each top and the phase got funny?

hmm, the upside of stereo subs is, that you can spread room modes around and get smoother result.

what you should be doing, is position the subs while playing music in a loop with the tops turned off and without phase correction.

might take a day to find the best spots, then run GLM again.

jappi, modified 4 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 36 Join Date: 7/28/16 Recent Posts

Did you do autophase for both subs?

clearsignal, modified 4 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 50 Join Date: 3/2/18 Recent Posts
jndittmar:
jndittmar:

After messing around with the different phase options I think I came to a solution. Originally, the GLM software had the subs at -120 Left and 120 Right for phase. I tried putting both subs at -120 and that seemed to tighten up the sound and put it back in the center. It got rid of the weird phasy stereo sub sound. The result sounds correct to me, but if someone can confirm or correct what I'm doing that would be great.

You’re asking for advice, but much is unknown about your calibration process.

I have 8431 x 2 + 7360 x 2. I associated each sub with the nearest monitor using the default 85hz crossover. After the process was complete, I discovered a dip in one monitor @ 95hz. I bumped up the crossover and the dip was gone.

In general, the sound is beyond fantastic with sublime 3D imaging. The subs are placed under my monitors in a true stereo arrangement.  Incidentally, I started off with one sub and wasn’t pleased by the asymmetry. I vividly felt the lows on my left side, but my right side was left cold.

clearsignal:

You’re asking for advice, but much is unknown about your calibration process.

I have 8431 x 2 + 7360 x 2. I associated each sub with the nearest monitor using the default 85hz crossover. After the process was complete, I discovered a dip in one monitor @ 95hz. I bumped up the crossover and the dip was gone.

In general, the sound is beyond fantastic with sublime 3D imaging. The subs are placed under my monitors in a true stereo arrangement.  Incidentally, I started off with one sub and wasn’t pleased by the asymmetry. I vividly felt the lows on my left side, but my right side was left cold.

Thanks for all the responses. I agree that when I had one sub it was very obvious that the sub was directional and the signal was lopsided compared to the mains.

I have done many calibration tests and when I did the autophase with the two monitors the ending result was the two subs had opposite phase positions, -120 & 120.

I used the autophase process to get an idea of where to start with phase and ran some sine waves to align the phase by ear. I think I have it set up correctly now. Both subs are at 120 and the crossover is at 95. I did the recommended crossover at 85 hz but I also had a dip in the monitors. 95 hz seemed to smooth out the dip and give a more even response. The subs positions are in the corners of the room and the monitors are about 2.5 feet diagonal to them. Having the sub in the corner gave me the best frequency response. I tried different spots under the desk and to the sides of the speakers, but the room modes interfered too much and didn't give an even response.

I also recorded a couple signals through the monitors and the subs to determine the delay between them. After messing with the delay I found it best to add 14.8ms to each monitor. This made a big difference in tightening up the low end. It's now quick, punchy and clear.

I can confidentley say that this is by far the most impressive system I have ever experienced. The sound is incredible. Thanks for all the input.