Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

From 8040 to 8330 ?

synthury, modified 3 Years ago.

From 8040 to 8330 ?

Youngling Posts: 7 Join Date: 11/27/16 Recent Posts

Hello there,

I have been using a pair of 8040 for many years now.

I wanted to add a sub (initially 7060 - but no longer exisists) 7360 with sam capabilities...

And exactly there begin the questions...

As I am really tempted by using a complete sam chain in my studio. But which way to go ? (I aleady own the 7360...)

Room is fully treated (absobrtion, diffusion and bass traps). Room size is of about 4,7m x 3,30m x 2,70 m 

What is the best way to go in your option and experience ?

1) Keep the 8040, add a pair of 8330 + 7360 with GLM

Seems extremely tempting as this solution is one of the cheapest entry ticket to SAM-world... 

2) Get rid of the 8040 and invest in a pair of 8340 + 7360 with GLM

3) Get rid of the 8040 and go for 8331 or even better 8341 + 7360 with GLM 

By the way, in that solution would you advice preferably 8331 or 8341 looking at my room size ?

Thank you in advance for your kind help and advice.

Cheers,

Seb

lukester, modified 3 Years ago.

RE: From 8040 to 8330 ?

Jedi Master Posts: 296 Join Date: 4/22/10 Recent Posts

i'd go for 8351 without sub if you don't need the power tbh.

83x1 series has such good imaging that sub can do more harm than good.

depending on listening distance of course.

other people on this forum had good experiences with dual subs very close to mains.

but then you might just as well get 1237s.

synthury, modified 3 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 7 Join Date: 11/27/16 Recent Posts

Thanks for the feedback.

But 8351 is out of my budget. Furthermore I already own the 7360 and I do not want to sell it as it brings in a lot of details in the lows, hoping a complete glm system will sound even more detailed.

Any other advice based on my options listed above ?

lukester, modified 3 Years ago.

Jedi Master Posts: 296 Join Date: 4/22/10 Recent Posts

well then my advice is 8341 of course.

i'd still urge you to audition 8351 and test them with your sub if possible.

you might find that no sub is a better trade off, as have several others. doesn't hurt to try.

don't know where you are and if auditioning is possible.