Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Dolby ATMOS / DTS:X upgrade with SAM's and number of ceiling speakers.

tonipetteri, modified 3 Years ago.

Dolby ATMOS / DTS:X upgrade with SAM's and number of ceiling speakers.

Youngling Posts: 10 Join Date: 5/1/14 Recent Posts

Hi,

I currently have 2 X 7270A subs with 3 X 8260 (Fronts) and 2 X 8250 (Rears), in a 5.1 hometheatre setup. Been very happy with them for 5 years now - and probably will be for years to come.

Recently more and more Dolby ATMOS and DTS:X content is coming up from Blu Ray releases and services such a s Netflix etc. So  Im considering to add additional ceiling speakers to my home theatre, since the AVR is ATMOS and DTS:X capable with XLR preouts.

However, setting-up four (!) ceiling speakers, that are on par with the rears (8250's), feels like overkill in 5mX3mX2.5m(h) sized room with a single row of seats.

For you who are playing around with the latest surround formats and Genelec speakers, I would have couple of questions:

1) No. of speakers; Whats is your experience with the latest surround format, do you think there would be significant advantage in 4 vs. 2 ceiling speakers in a single row theatre such as mine ?

2) Type of speakers; The most logical solution would be additional pair of SAM monitors in the ceiling - and pair of used 8250 would go fine. But since they are not in prouction anymore... what are reasonable speaker options for the height channel? (In-ceiling models excluded).

Thanks,

-Toni

manutal, modified 3 Years ago.

RE: Dolby ATMOS / DTS:X upgrade with SAM's and number of ceiling speakers.

Jedi Knight Posts: 180 Join Date: 4/25/14 Recent Posts

Hello!

1: I would go with 4 ceiling speakers or two pairs. One a little bit in front of your listening position and one a little bit behind aimed at the listening position.

2: You should go with SAMs ofc :) 8330/8340 will for sure be enough or maybe 8331 8341.