Message Boards

What Bass Tilt settings for my 8020s? (See my cool diagram)

johnnycordner, modified 1 Year ago.

What Bass Tilt settings for my 8020s? (See my cool diagram)

Youngling Posts: 0 Join Date: 5/1/19 Recent Posts

What Bass Tilt settings are required for Genelec 8020D monitors as seen in the diagram above? 

The Genelecs are sitting on small tilted wooden bracket-sheves mounted on the front of another large wooden shelf (see diagram). They hang slightly below the large wooden shelf which is supported by a 10 cm tall wooden beem. This spans across behind each monitor at a distance of 3-5 cm from back of each monitor. (see diagram) There are various objects like tapes, CDs, papers, random stuff on the large wooden shelf but nothing bulky or large and everything is pushed right to the back against the solid back wall (Named: solid wall behind on diagram).

To the left of the left monitor there is the protruding corner edge of sold wall about 5 cm distance from the monitor. The right monitor has an open space to it right.

Below (25 cm) and behind the Genelecs is another shelf with a second per of monitors on it. Below that again is the desk surface. 50cm between the desk and the Genelecs.

I'm thinking I'll need max Bass Tilt (-6) for the left monitor because of the protruding corner edge of sold wall to its left and the large wooden shelf / solid back wall behind it.

I'm thinking less max Bass Tilt (either -2 or -4) for the right monitor as there is "NO protruding corner edge of sold wall"  however there sill is a large wooden shelf / solid back wall behind it. 

I'm not sure what to do with such obstacles arround the back of each monitor - any guidance on the setting would be appreciated.

jani-oksanen, modified 1 Year ago.

RE: What Bass Tilt settings for my 8020s? (See my cool diagram)

Jedi Master Posts: 436 Join Date: 3/30/17 Recent Posts

Hi Johnny,

Thank you for posting your question with a cool diagram!

I would say that your suggested settings -6dB to left speaker and -4dB to right speaker would be a good starting point. If you hear too much, or lack of bass, then you can adjust them more. I'm sorry but it is impossible to say remotely, what would be the "correct" settings, for that you always have to listen, or to measure with an measuring microphone and a software to see the frequency response that you get to the listening point.

Best Regards,
Jani Oksanen
Customer Support Team

costakis, modified 1 Year ago.

RE: What Bass Tilt settings for my 8020s? (See my cool diagram)

Padawan Posts: 39 Join Date: 2/13/19 Recent Posts
jani-oksanen:

Hi Johnny,

Thank you for posting your question with a cool diagram!

I would say that your suggested settings -6dB to left speaker and -4dB to right speaker would be a good starting point. If you hear too much, or lack of bass, then you can adjust them more. I'm sorry but it is impossible to say remotely, what would be the "correct" settings, for that you always have to listen, or to measure with an measuring microphone and a software to see the frequency response that you get to the listening point.

Best Regards,
Jani Oksanen
Customer Support Team

Totally agree :) Just to add that Johny should also measure the output of each speaker and adjust the gain of each (not only the dip switches) in order to have the same level at listening position. 

Best regards

Costas