Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8331 vs 8341

grtriage, modified 3 Years ago.

8331 vs 8341

Youngling Posts: 0 Join Date: 6/15/19 Recent Posts

Hi there - I have a home studio and have been looking to upgrade my monitors. I've been trying out a pair of 8331s for a couple weeks now and find them simply wonderful in so many ways. Some questions before I make my decision:

Should I get the 8331s or the 8341s?

I don't need the additional volume, though more bass extention would be useful.Wondering if there are any other differences/advantages to the 8341s?

If I want more bass extention, would I be better off getting the 8331s and a Genelec sub?

Any and all thoughts are welcome!

Greg

lukester, modified 3 Years ago.

RE: 8331 vs 8341

Jedi Master Posts: 296 Join Date: 4/22/10 Recent Posts

personally i'm not a fan of combining "the ones" series speakers with subs.

the imaging of these point source spakers is so good, that a sub does more harm than good.

imho you'd need stereo subs, in close vicinity to the tops.

or maybe get 8351s instead.

moxie, modified 3 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 6/24/19 Recent Posts

I’m in the same boat as you.

The versatility of the 8331 (portable and true near) is great! (Haven’t previewed them) but was reading a thread here that a person actually ended up buying 8331 and 7350 subs, in comparison to the 8341.

i am in a similar dilemma. I create music with low end, and want to be able to capture that in my work. I was leaning towards the 8341 b/c physics of having a larger speaker, and near field is similar if not the same as the 8331 - though the person that went for the 8331 and subs said they didn’t think the sweet spot was as good.

any other suggestions can help me too!

photo523, modified 3 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 3 Join Date: 12/6/17 Recent Posts

I own a pair of 8331's in Black and I  must be honest that there is much power in them. 144 watts per monitor and I have them on stands without the need for subs. They are so clear and have much low end for my needs. 

soundwave, modified 3 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 12 Join Date: 7/17/17 Recent Posts

I have 8331+7350 in a similar small rool for desktop near field use. I love them and suggest you start with the 8331.