Message Boards

Differences between 8000 series and G series - sensitivity, directivity?

allears, modified 10 Months ago.

Differences between 8000 series and G series - sensitivity, directivity?

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 7/18/19 Recent Posts

Hi,

I'm trying to decipher the specifications and differences of the 8000 series studio monitors and the G series home audio speakers, but I could use some help. If I understand it correctly, the 8000 series is supposed to give 100 dB @ 1 m distance with a -6 dBu signal. I haven't been able to find the sensitivity of the G series at all in their specifications or sales material - is it the same as the 8000 series?

Also, marketing the same (acoustically) loudspeaker as both a nearfield monitor and a home audio loudspeaker makes me wonder: How is your reasoning about the different acoustic environments (nearfield monitor = loud direct sound, little room reflections; home audio = less direct sound, more room reflections) and the different needs in tonal qualities to compensate for the non-flat frequency response of home audio listening rooms?

Thanks in advance! :-)

allears, modified 9 Months ago.

RE: Differences between 8000 series and G series - sensitivity, directivity

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 7/18/19 Recent Posts

Hi again,

my main reason for asking is the seventh post halfway down in this thread, from ilkka-rissanen:
https://www.community.genelec.com/forum/-/message_boards/view_message/923621#/

"Actually it's not -10 dB and +10 dB but a 10 dB difference instead. Professional series speakers and subwoofers require a -6 dBu signal level (~0.4 volts) to achieve 100 dB output at 1 meter. Home audio series products produce 90 dB at the same signal level. G Three, G Four and F Two have a dip switch to boost the input sensitivity by 10 dB for example if your signal source has a low output level."

Is this really the case? This sounds very backwards to me since professional signal levels tend to be higher (several volts) than consumer levels (under a volt). Anyhow, is this information available anywhere in the specifications, brochures or sales materials? I would need to know these levels if I were to set up a system with non-Genelec amplifiers and/or speakers.

Recently I found this information, also from ilkka-rissanen, in the 10th (last) post in this thread:
https://www.community.genelec.com/forum/-/message_boards/view_message/906997#/

"8040: +6 dBu to -6 dBu for 100 dB SPL output (default: -6 dBu)
G Four: +4 dBu or -6 dBu for 100 dB SPL output (default: +4 dBu)"

I think this is the sensitivity information that I was searching for in the specifications and just about anywhere, thanks Ilkka. :-)
It doesn't explain why the default levels are backwards though.

Remaining is my question about how to tackle the different needs of nearfield/home audio speakers.