Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

8040A intermittent noise - interference?

sruss, modified 3 Years ago.

8040A intermittent noise - interference?

Youngling Posts: 0 Join Date: 9/12/19 Recent Posts

Hi, I've been biding my time saving up for one of the higher level SAM systems but I needed something on short notice so I bought a pair of used 8040As.   I get intermittent noise out of one of them (almost a lower freq "static"), the other one doesn't make noise in any circumstance.  I've tried turning off all other electric devices, changing out cables, plugging into different outlets, disconnecting from the signal, but the noise remains (happens regardless of whether it's connected to a source, and it always is at the same volume level).  Sometimes a couple minutes pass without any noise, and other times there are periods of 5-10 seconds with a lot of noise).  I tried running a power cable to a different room in my house - the noise happens significantly less.  Is it safe to say that it's a problem with my electric devices or my "dirty power"?  I live in an old building in NYC so there's a good change the wiring is very interestingly done.  I'd like to be sure that there isn't a problem with the speaker.

I've attached an audio clip (cheap USB microphone about 6" away from woofer).Thank you.

jani-oksanen, modified 3 Years ago.

RE: 8040A intermittent noise - interference?

Jedi Master Posts: 449 Join Date: 3/30/17 Recent Posts

Hi There,

Please contact our service through link below:

https://www.genelec.com/service-enquiry-form

Best Regards,
Jani Oksanen
Customer Support Team