Message Boards

How to manage bass with Atmos? Help

clearsignal, modified 8 Months ago.

How to manage bass with Atmos? Help

Padawan Posts: 46 Join Date: 3/2/18 Recent Posts

So I’m planning on 5.2.4 for Netflix streaming. I’ve given up on AES as the Trinnov/Datesat prices don’t make sense to me, and the modded Oppo solution is an orphan missing its parents. The various PCIe cards are excellent, but Windows won’t support more than 8 channels.

Enter Yamaha CX-A5200. A HDMI cable from a Windows PC running the Netflix app will transmit the signal to the said preamp, which is turn will feed my TV.

All so simple, and yet opaque. How do I manage the bass? As far as I understand, the XLR cables from the preamp should run into the subwoofer so it’s allowed to control the LF distribution. From there, the signals go to the monitors. But the 73x0 subs only support 8 channels, and don’t have any provision for daisy-chaining.

Of course, I can run the cables directly from the preamp to the monitors/sub, but then I can’t manage the bass trough GLM.

Can anyone riddle me this?

manutal, modified 7 Months ago.

RE: How to manage bass with Atmos? Help

Jedi Knight Posts: 180 Join Date: 4/25/14 Recent Posts

You dont have to route the speakers through the subwoofer if you are going to use a preamp + GLM. GLM has bassmanagement for every SAM speakers.

clearsignal, modified 4 Months ago.

RE: How to manage bass with Atmos? Help

Padawan Posts: 46 Join Date: 3/2/18 Recent Posts
manutal:

You dont have to route the speakers through the subwoofer if you are going to use a preamp + GLM. GLM has bassmanagement for every SAM speakers.

Thanks for stepping Manutal.

Still, with all due respect, I believe you err here.

Sure, you can set the high-pass and low-pass filters thorough the GLM, but that does little to induce the sub to produce the low frequencies, since it doesn’t have access to them. To sum up the low frequencies per channel so the sub can act on them, you need a focal point, a centralized hub, through which all the channels pass. In the digital domain, toward that end, Genelec offers the 9301, which can be daisy-chained to manage more than 8 channels. In the analog domain, the sub plays that rule, using its many XLR I/O jacks. However, it supports up to 8 channels.

And here is where I was stuck.

Later on, I received a feedback from Genelec, in which they recommend to manage only bass of the heights, and the rest to leave alone. Frankly, I feel it’s a stopgap, not a true solution.

In my humble opinion, Genelec should update the 73x0 series: remove most of the I/O jacks and replace them with 4 x DB25 interfaces for breakaway cables; two pairs would accommodated for 16 analog channels, and the other two to manage 16 digital channels. That would turn the 9301 obsolete to all but very large installation; but it is what it is.