Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Genelec 8350 without Subwoofer or 2.1 System?

chrisso1989, modified 3 Years ago.

Genelec 8350 without Subwoofer or 2.1 System?

Youngling Posts: 3 Join Date: 10/1/19 Recent Posts

Hi There,

I'm a newbie in this forum and i need your help to find the best monitor system for my little homestudio.

I work in a small Studiobox (10m²) with a bit of accoustic treatment and a pair of 8040b's. I love the sound of these beauties, but i produce a lot of edm music and sometimes i miss a little bit more low end. With the software ''SW 4'' & measureing mic I calibrated the speakers and was able to control some room modes so far. 

Now i think about a new setup:

A) 8350 + GLM (So i don't need ''SW 4'' anymore / enough low end?)
B) 8340 + GLM +  subwoofer (which sub is recommendable for 10m²?)
C) 8040 + an analog subwoofer (Sound will be controlled by ''SW 4'')
​​​
What are your thoughts? Unfortunately i haven't the chance to take listen to the speakers in a store. Attached is a little sketch of my box.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Chris

costakis, modified 3 Years ago.

RE: Genelec 8350 without Subwoofer or 2.1 System?

Padawan Posts: 76 Join Date: 2/13/19 Recent Posts

Dear Chris

I think it is a matter of cost. Then I would reject the first option. I prefer to have a sub because the ideal placement of the monitors is easier in this way. Please see what Genelec suggests about the placement of monitors + sub. 

Since you have already the 8040s, I would propose to you to buy 2 7050s and place them correctly. You must bring the 8040s further from the back wall. See what Genelec recommends. If the treatment is right, the result will be great and the cost not so high. 

Costakis 

lukester, modified 3 Years ago.

Jedi Master Posts: 296 Join Date: 4/22/10 Recent Posts

good advice.

maybe make it 2 7350 subs.

then he gets most of the benefits of GLM as well.

chrisso1989, modified 3 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 3 Join Date: 10/1/19 Recent Posts

Thanks for your answers. It was very helpful.
​​​​​​​I order an 7360 subwoofer for my system. The reasons were:

- I can use my 8040b analog speakers (it has the required high pass filter)
- placement of monitors + sub
- In the future I can change my speakers to a full dsp system (for example 8331A )
- 7360A was recommend from a Genelec distributor to me

​​​​​​​Thanks for your help :-)